Catchy, unique name required...

MadManMike

As some of you know, I do car photography at shows 'n' stuff - I also do car specific shoots for people.

I'm currently going under the name of jollygoodphotography.co.uk, but if you Google Jolly Good Photography, there's a few similar names out there and although I'm high up in Google, I'd like to have a unique, unmistakable name.

So, here's some keywords to work with:

Bristol

Car

Automotive

Photography

I don't really want the name to be too obvious - "Bristol Car Photography" for example is the most plain name I can think of.

Any ideas for something catchy?

(I realise I'm opening myself up to some ridicule, but if there's a few serious suggestions mixed in, that's cool :P )

Cheers chaps!

Yeah location is a bad shout actually.

In Motion is already taken, this is the problem, I've come up with loads of car-related names and they're all gone - it needs to be something weird, like you get web design companies that have weird names like Purple Banana.

Part of me wants to go for something odd like that, but I feel it needs to link to cars in some way.

Find what the business means to you and see what connections you can find. The Clan stunt team I'm with wanted a name that tied in with them being a family friendly show, friendship, scottish etc and the word Clan tied in with all these things. There's a Gym I sometimes go to called "Kaizen" which means "change for better" which again ties in with their aims.

Don't think you need a name that describes what you do, that's what advertising/media/word of mouth does for you, also I think going for a name other than a location and description can be better branded in general. Even if you're never wanting to actually make products, think about how your business name would look on a t-shirt, a mug or even your own designed camera part if you went mega big time. Would you buy a "Jolly Good Photography" branded lense? Maybe you would haha but something shorter and to the point would work better.....even just turning that into "JGP" could work.

I don't really have any names to suggest, but I did see this cool video while looking for camera/photographic technique related names which I think might be another way you could go about looking for a name...

I'd initially been thinking of something involving movement that's also related to cameras/how they work like 'Rolling Shutter' or something but that's largely carries negatives connotations so maybe not ;)

Do you have a unique surname? Use your name somehow?

Yes I do, but I want something I don't have to spell out to people. I'm also not a huge fan of my surname - Duffield. Some people call me Duffbeard, I guess that could work somehow...

Find what the business means to you and see what connections you can find. The Clan stunt team I'm with wanted a name that tied in with them being a family friendly show, friendship, scottish etc and the word Clan tied in with all these things. There's a Gym I sometimes go to called "Kaizen" which means "change for better" which again ties in with their aims.

Don't think you need a name that describes what you do, that's what advertising/media/word of mouth does for you, also I think going for a name other than a location and description can be better branded in general. Even if you're never wanting to actually make products, think about how your business name would look on a t-shirt, a mug or even your own designed camera part if you went mega big time. Would you buy a "Jolly Good Photography" branded lense? Maybe you would haha but something shorter and to the point would work better.....even just turning that into "JGP" could work.

Good reply, cheers Ali.

Yeah if it was a long name, it'd be shortened if it was featured on a product. Best example of that is HSBC. The idea behind Jolly Good was to do weddings, well dressed gentleman type thing. Now I'm doing car photography it doesn't really fit.

I need to have a think about ties, like you said. That's the hard part :)

Photography / videography company names are always so cheesy, Just use your name unless you have other people doing work for you.

'Mike's Auto Photography' would be alright

"Awesome, that must be so cheap, being as it's automatic."

"Damn, I wish he took photos of cars with manual transmission."

• Like 1

I have 90% of a photo website built myself (more of a personal blog than a commercial site) but it's being delayed by lack of name! It can be really difficult. Personally I like things a little abstract, the kind of name you could build a brand around. The one that springs to mind is http://www.chromasia.com/which has a strong identity. I've always thought that including the word 'photography' is a little too obvious, and a little boring. " Chromasia... I wonder what the hell that's about..." - can get people interesting, intrigued.

Additionally I'd be wary of a name that encompasses location or current subject matter. You might want to branch out or have a stab at something different, your interests may change. You might move to a new city.

Finally - and not on the subject of name - make yourself sound established and experienced. It's much more professional to write a bio in the third person ("Mike is a professional photographer from Bristol etc etc") than it is in the first person. Writing "Hi my name is Mike etc" gives the impression of an enthusiastic amateur just having a go at making some money from a hobby. Whilst this might sound personable and friendly, you're probably going to find more lucrative jobs if you sound like a hard-hitter.

Photography / videography company names are always so cheesy, Just use your name unless you have other people doing work for you.

'Mike's Auto Photography' would be alright

They're not always cheesy. If anything, people that use their name just sound plain and uninteresting.

I agree that things like "In Focus Photography" or "through The Lens Photography" are cheesy and shit, but you don't always have to be that obvious.

I just thought of Rodosuta Photography - it's Japanese for Roadster, which I drive, and it's obviously car related, without being cheesy obvious.

I have 90% of a photo website built myself (more of a personal blog than a commercial site) but it's being delayed by lack of name! It can be really difficult. Personally I like things a little abstract, the kind of name you could build a brand around. The one that springs to mind is http://www.chromasia.com/which has a strong identity. I've always thought that including the word 'photography' is a little too obvious, and a little boring. " Chromasia... I wonder what the hell that's about..." - can get people interesting, intrigued.

Additionally I'd be wary of a name that encompasses location or current subject matter. You might want to branch out or have a stab at something different, your interests may change. You might move to a new city.

Finally - and not on the subject of name - make yourself sound established and experienced. It's much more professional to write a bio in the third person ("Mike is a professional photographer from Bristol etc etc") than it is in the first person. Writing "Hi my name is Mike etc" gives the impression of an enthusiastic amateur just having a go at making some money from a hobby. Whilst this might sound personable and friendly, you're probably going to find more lucrative jobs if you sound like a hard-hitter.

Very good points there, cheers!

I hadn't thought about dropping the word photography, but now you mention it that does sound good.

Perhaps I could just go with RedRodosuta - it's interesting, only related to cars if you know what the second word means and isn't location based.

I need to re-visit the wording on my site (And all the branding... and URL...and the photos...and everything else...)

I thought you said you wanted a name you didn't have to spell out though? :P If you haven't already, it might be worth hitting up one of those really cheap "5million business cards for £7.99!" kind of deals so you can always just give them out to anyone who's car you shoot a photo of. It'd certainly alleviate any potential name spelling issues and would maybe help look a bit more pro too.

RedRodosuta

I agree with having that sort of name. It would be easy to make a logo/brand image for that name, but with it not being a very descriptive name you might want to frequently share a "pic of the day" type thing to help with promotion.

I thought you said you wanted a name you didn't have to spell out though? :P If you haven't already, it might be worth hitting up one of those really cheap "5million business cards for £7.99!" kind of deals so you can always just give them out to anyone who's car you shoot a photo of. It'd certainly alleviate any potential name spelling issues and would maybe help look a bit more pro too.

God no, not that, nothing screams amateur quite like a Vistaprint business card!