Spanish bb question

Dazza1414

I have recently had some new bearings fitted to my echo and they felt lovely and smooth until I fitted the cranks. Now when I turn the cranks there seems to be a bit of a tight spot. Can anyone explain what this might be and will it get better?

He tenido recientemente algunos nuevos cojinetes montados en mi eco y se sentía hermosa y suave hasta que me coloqué las bielas. Ahora cuando enciendo las manivelas parece que hay un poco de una situación difícil . ¿Puede alguien explicar lo que esto podría ser y va a mejorar?

I've translated it in to a spanish bb question
  • Like 4

Does the tight spot occur if the chain is taken off the cranks? As your sprockets and freewheel/hub arent perfectly spherical so there will be a tightness caused by this.

The tight spot still occurs when the chain is off. It's only minimal but enough to notice

Bearings probably wasn't fitted parallel to each other. Did you put the spacer in between the bearings as well? The tight spot normally goes away after a while.

there was no spacer originally, surely the bearings just butt up against the shoulder on the axle?

there was no spacer originally, surely the bearings just butt up against the shoulder on the axle?

Ah sorry forgot the Echo spanish BB axles have that shoulder. Your BB shell could just be not perfectly centric. Both my mod and track bike have a tight spot in the chain. Not really a problem unless it goes from really loose to really tight, then something is way off.

Had the same thing with the echo 24 I had, put it down to overtightening the cranks (guessing the way the crank/bb spacers sit together against the bearings) I just loosened the crank bolt a tiny bit until I could feel it a bit/stand it without my cranks being loose haha

was less noticeable with try-all expert cranks for some reason too, iirc the drag/tight spot feeling stort of felt like it was on the drive side of the bb though.

He tenido recientemente algunos nuevos cojinetes montados en mi eco y se sentía hermosa y suave hasta que me coloqué las bielas. Ahora cuando enciendo las manivelas parece que hay un poco de una situación difícil . ¿Puede alguien explicar lo que esto podría ser y va a mejorar?

I've translated it in to a spanish bb question

Moxon you absolute legend

it sounds like your bearings haven't been seated totally up against the axle at first so it still span free then putting your cranks and pushing it that extra little bit has caused the problem. I had to get a pair of calipers and do a bit of sanding on a frame thanks to Mark for helping me out with how to do it. It was a pretty crap job because my frame was steel should be fine on your echo.

I'd probably take it back to the bike shop that fitted it and see what they think too, Maybe the bearings aren't pushed in fully and you're just pulling one side .5mm into the axle and that's the problem.

it sounds like your bearings haven't been seated totally up against the axle at first so it still span free then putting your cranks and pushing it that extra little bit has caused the problem. I had to get a pair of calipers and do a bit of sanding on a frame thanks to Mark for helping me out with how to do it. It was a pretty crap job because my frame was steel should be fine on your echo.

I'd probably take it back to the bike shop that fitted it and see what they think too, Maybe the bearings aren't pushed in fully and you're just pulling one side .5mm into the axle and that's the problem.

cheers for the advice dude

I wouldn't have expected that same problem to be causing the issue here - the BB shells on Echo frames are so thick that I don't think they'd distort in the same way a skinny little steel one would, so at a guess I'd have said it could just be the bearings not quite being seated right.

When the bearings are fully seated the BB shell sticks out slightly proud of the outer race so depending on how 'rustic' the method was that was used to fit the bearings they might not have gone in 100%? If they used a proper bearing press or something similar then I don't really see how they could have got it wrong.

Maybe the bearings aren't pushed in fully and you're just pulling one side .5mm into the axle and that's the problem.

When the bearings are fully seated the BB shell sticks out slightly proud of the outer race so depending on how 'rustic' the method was that was used to fit the bearings they might not have gone in 100%? If they used a proper bearing press or something similar then I don't really see how they could have got it wrong.

Nice.