Help with up to front ?

You don't need to be able to do front hops to do ups to front - it doesn't really require as much balance on your front wheel because when you're doing it it's a pretty quick move.  Once you get better you can style it out and stall them for longer, but for the most part it's just a quick swap.  Ali doesn't usually need to get his back wheel super high because he's doing them on pretty big things so you get a lot of upward momentum from the first part of the move, plus with a short wheelbase and steep head angle there's not as much bike to swap.  On a longer bike with a slacker head angle it'd be a slightly different story.

I'm pretty shit at ups to front but get them from time to time - the thing that makes all the difference for me is commitment.  If you commit with your front wheel and moving your body, it flows pretty nicely.  If you don't, then it's much harder to do the swap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark W said:

If you commit with your front wheel and moving your body, it flows pretty nicely.  If you don't, then it's much harder to do the swap.

That's probably why I can do the swap on lower walls. I feel like really jumping onto the front wheel.

Do you draw your hips close to the handle bars when you are going into an endo? Been pitching forward into an endo but keeping my hips back and more trying to get body over the handle bars. I think this is why i asked the question do you need to be able to front wheel hop as thats the position ive been trying to get into for the wheel swap. Ive been trying to push up from there and throw the bike forward but its not happening.  Should i be trying to keep my spine vertical?

1 hour ago, Daviesdt said:

Do you draw your hips close to the handle bars when you are going into an endo? Been pitching forward into an endo but keeping my hips back and more trying to get body over the handle bars. I think this is why i asked the question do you need to be able to front wheel hop as thats the position ive been trying to get into for the wheel swap. Ive been trying to push up from there and throw the bike forward but its not happening.  Should i be trying to keep my spine vertical?

It's not like you are pushing your bike forward (I imagine you try to push like you would do when doing front wheel hops) rather than trying to let go of the front brake and lean backward. It's hard to explain and you will figure it out eventually on your own.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

I think i understand what im doing wrong, @DK. that vid was really handy, just watched it about 30 times and he does get hips close to the bars with a much more vertical spine than what im doing. Just been messing round with it in back garden and feels a bit better though did go right over the bars in first attempt, way to much hip movement! Luckily my cat like ninja reflexes resulted in just pride being dented rather than my face! Ive been well wary of doing a face plant like niconj did in an earlier vid on this post. See how i get on tomorrow. Cheers guys.

11 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

I think i understand what im doing wrong, @DK. that vid was really handy, just watched it about 30 times and he does get hips close to the bars with a much more vertical spine than what im doing. Just been messing round with it in back garden and feels a bit better though did go right over the bars in first attempt, way to much hip movement! Luckily my cat like ninja reflexes resulted in just pride being dented rather than my face! Ive been well wary of doing a face plant like niconj did in an earlier vid on this post. See how i get on tomorrow. Cheers guys.

"he" - thats me in the video :D If your ever after any help or need some people to ride with. Come on down to Stoke-On-Trent, you'd be welcome to join us, there's stuff for all levels of riders and I'd be happy to help you. If your in Manchester your only 35 mins away by train.

EDIT

Here is also another example of a way that I do it. You can tap into up to front wheel swap. Its the same principal as if you were going to tap, but your aim is to go to front wheel instead of the rear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZmdJYoqzs&feature=youtu.be

Edited by DK.
  • Like 1

@niconj yeah, use trash zen all the time. Bit of a go to place for me when trying stuff. I find i sometimes need things explained in different way though if first explanation doesnt go in. 

@DK. nice one, will think on re offer. Ive just got back on bike after an injury but my usual riding buddy in the meantime has sprained his ankle so temporarily without someone to learn off. If you are up manchester way then likewise give us a shout. Little beyond tapping up on to things at the moment though but certainly going to nail up to fronts now i know where im going with them!