Building frame

Kenny--Trials

It was bearing precession I was thinking of...

I don't know what stage you're at, but you could maybe just try buying some pre-built BB shells? Companies do sell ready-made parts like that which might help you out if you're struggling.

I cannot find anywhere which sells pre tapped aluminium shells in the grade that i want is the issue

Would be pretty difficult to tap a thread that large nice and square , as above get hold of a bb she'll or ask a machinist to screw cut one for you

tapping it square isnt the issue because of the way the tools are designed. the machinist idea is pretty good though but i feel like it would be quite easy for them to get it wrong

Which grade is that?

i think its 6082

ive found some press fit ones but ive been advised not to use them by co-workers because as i weld it up it will just distort like hell and then the bearings wont fit in

Edited by Kenny--Trials

Well, they'll possibly still fit but they won't run particularly smoothly. That's why BMX frames almost all have post-weld machined BBs and head tubes. I've used a press-fit frame in the past that didn't have that, and the bearings would feel silky smooth just in your hand, but as soon as they were pressed into the frame they felt poop. I managed to sand the shell so it wasn't quite as ovalised and that made things better, but it still wasn't ideal.

6082 is the uk equivalent of 6061, far lower strength than 7075 that most trials frames are made from.

you'll buy at t6 temper presumably but after welding will be at t0 at the haz ( heat affected zone ).

Without heat treating the area around the welds will be significantly weaker due to the rapid cooling of the metal resulting in the crystalline bonds in the metal not aligning correctly.

Pretty sure I'm right in saying that.

• Like 1

6082 is the uk equivalent of 6061, far lower strength than 7075 that most trials frames are made from.

you'll buy at t6 temper presumably but after welding will be at t0 at the haz ( heat affected zone ).

Without heat treating the area around the welds will be significantly weaker due to the rapid cooling of the metal resulting in the crystalline bonds in the metal not aligning correctly.

Pretty sure I'm right in saying that.

im almost certain that frames arent made of 7075 because 7075 is virtually impossible to weld without it cracking due to it cooling so quickly in relation to the rest of the material. i did look into making it from this but it just wouldnt work. it wouldnt be that hard to heat treat the welds would it?

Well, they'll possibly still fit but they won't run particularly smoothly. That's why BMX frames almost all have post-weld machined BBs and head tubes. I've used a press-fit frame in the past that didn't have that, and the bearings would feel silky smooth just in your hand, but as soon as they were pressed into the frame they felt poop. I managed to sand the shell so it wasn't quite as ovalised and that made things better, but it still wasn't ideal.

the proiblem is that i dont have access to a lathe big enough or a cnc machine to do that haha

Edited by Kenny--Trials

im almost certain that frames arent made of 7075 because 7075 is virtually impossible to weld without it cracking due to it cooling so quickly in relation to the rest of the material. i did look into making it from this but it just wouldnt work. it wouldnt be that hard to heat treat the welds would it?

I seem to remember that 7075 is great for machined parts, 7005 and 6061 are often used for frame tubing.

I was under the impression that the whole frame is usually heat treated?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...