Titanium bolts

LEON

After seeing someone with Ti caliper & adaptor bolts at Tarty Days I've gone all rainbow titanium, All I need now is some rainbow Pro 2 axle bolts, I've checked Stan on Tarty but they only come in silver, Ebay gave no joy either, any ideas? Maybe some car brands do flashy bits?

After seeing someone with Ti caliper & adaptor bolts at Tarty Days I've gone all rainbow titanium, All I need now is some rainbow Pro 2 axle bolts, I've checked Stan on Tarty but they only come in silver, Ebay gave no joy either, any ideas? Maybe some car brands do flashy bits?

Check Tarty again I think you will be presently surprised Edited by jack1987
  • Like 1

While I'm here, how suitable are ti bolts for things like axles, stems, brake caliper & adaptors? I know it's not as strong as steel but by a big enough margin to worry?

You do realise that 6al4v titanium has a UTS of 950 MPa? A high tensile steel bolt (grade 8.8) has a UTS of 880 MPa, not sure what grade most of the cheese bolts used in the bicycle industry but I don't think they're much above gr8.8 :)

edit: make sure you have plenty of copperslip on there though!

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

Well that's reassuring! No I didn't realise any of that lol, several people have told me they've had really bad experiences with Ti bolts, these are grade 5 (I think) Ti alloy bolts, I have the Stan M10 rear axle ones and several m6 bolts mainly on stem, brake adaptors/calipers, these are the ones I'm most worried about.

So caliper & adaptor bolts are good to go? I'd hate to break some major parts for the sake of being a tart.

I've used (and still use) a bunch of different Ti bolts on my bike, and I generally just use whatever grease I have lying around. Think it's some lithium grease that's currently stopping my rear axle bolts and axle becoming one, and it was the same stuff I used for my dinky stem bolts before too.

Grade 5 titanium is 6al4v so you're good for strength :)

Generally a proper anti seize paste will be better than plain grease as it will have a heavy particle load that acts as a sliding barrier between the materials to prevent galling. When the carrier grease finally dries/washes out the particles remain and will allow you to undo the fixing.