Neck pain?

Greetings

I just want to find out where the pain might be coming from, not seeking any medical advice. I've most likely sprained something and couldn't be arsed to go to the doctor.

A few weeks ago when landing a tap I felt a shooting pain from near my neck, slightly towards the right shoulder. I continued riding and couldn't move my head the next day but it got progressively better over a period of a week allowing me to get back on the bike (this is why I doubt it's serious). After a ride yesterday the pain returned but it's fairly mild.

What puzzles me is where the pain is located. It's as if it was under the spine, towards the shoulder. Even at it's worst, I couldn't locate it by squeezing where it hurt. The most severe pain would occur when trying to raise my head from a horizontal position. It's also more painful to turn my head left than right (the pain is on the right side of the spine). Any vague idea what it could be?

Obviously tried google but nothing fits the above. Is Tomm still with us?

I get something similar having jarred something carrying barrels, happens pretty frequently now, lasts for a few days. I get my missus to really dig her thumbs into my neck, helps a lot.

Whatever hurts is deep inside the body and even if I massage myself or get the missus to do it, it doesn't hurt at all. Cool trick with the ball though ! (Y) I'll give it a go and see if that helps.

My guess is a pinched nerve in some of the shoulder muscles (traps), have you had any hand/finger numbness? Worth going a getting a back massage and see if that helps :)

No numbness at all, just pain from the neck :)

I get a feeling in my shoulder like i'm being stung by a wasp about 3 times a year, real sharp shooting pain. Pretty sure thats a trapped nerve somewhere, and put it down to having all my muscle ontop of my shoulder and non beneath (from trials). I also landed backwards onto a rock a few years ago and smashed my helmet to bits, and gave myself whiplash. Chiropractor said I have scar tissue where it should be muscle and that limits my head turning ability and my neck aches after a few mins looking down at a keyboard or whatever. I also fell off my mtb and landed on my arm which pulled it right around my front and stretched the muscle in my back / shoulder blade. That was 3 weeks ago and still hurts when I move my arm in a certain way or move my neck. A friend had what felt like back pain but was actually a trapped nerve in his arse / thigh zone.

When I started typing I think I had a point to make but I've forgotten what that was. Sorry.

That's interesting, my neck/back kills me in a very short time leaning over an engine now I'm an old man where it never really used to, hadn't really made the connection between that and my neck spazzing out like it does.