biggest innovation in trials?

ogre

All I can see there is improvement not innovation. Can carbon products really be called innovative? I suppose using a different material could be but to me innovation should mean more than taking a part that been around forever and making it out of carbon.

So improving your riding and becoming famous for that (like Danny Macaskill for example) should also be excluded from the list then.. I think that BJ. has a point there that people focus on some very broad terms like media and deng and we should narrow it down to more specific innovations.

I quite like the integrated onza/inpulse tensioners cause they are innovative compared to the normal tensioners/snail cams. New pad compounds are another innovation as people mentioned above.

I agree with Adam that Koxx Bloxx pretty much changed brakes from average to what we have now.

Maybe not trials specific but soft compound grippy tires changed my bike more dramatically than most other things I can think of.

• Like 1

So improving your riding and becoming famous for that (like Danny Macaskill for example) should also be excluded from the list then.

A rider can't be an innovation but they can be innovative. I'd say that Danny Macaskill's innovative riding has done more to promote the sport outside of the trials community, so yeah his innovations in style have contributed massively.

I'm not a huge fan of his though to be honest.

• Like 1

It's one of those things when you are out riding and people ask 'can you do Danny Mac stuff'. We never get asked can you do 'Carthy stuff'. That says how much impact the wee Scottish lad has had on the sport

I'd go with Maguras. Not many people stick with trials after they bust a tailbone once or twice... :)

In terms of hype - Trialskings --> Ryan leech + Martin Ashton --> Danny Mac + Chris Akrigg (Ryan and Chris deserve an honorable mention at least)

Edited by foxinsocks

Am I the only one who used trials-online? I think it was a Canadian website.

I remember being about 12 or 13 and seeing some people riding trials in the street in Southend. We stopped to ask them what the bikes were all about as we were fascinated and they completely blanked us, probably as they had little chavs all day asking to 'give us a go on yer bike bruv' etc. Consequently it took us ages to find out what trials bikes were and how to do a lot of the tricks that come with it. Trials online had loads of explanations and videos on how to do each trick, as well as reviews on parts and bikes. This was way before I even knew what a forum was, let alone this site.

I don't think its the biggest innovation at all, but I do think it must of helped a fair few people out who were in a similar situation?

As for actual innovation, I think horizontal dropouts and Deng in general had a massive impact on changing the reliability and cost of trials as a sport. Gone are the days of smashing deralieurs and collapsing chainstays.