Hello all

Good afternoon fokes,

Im Alan i stay up near Aberdeen and i thought id give trials a bash ive bought my self a second hand onza t bird first off i thought it was too small as am 6ft 2 but im actually getting used to it. Might buy a longer stem though. Hope to get some advice and tips from this forum and learn this awsome sport.

yoho :) Welcome to the forum. Trials is Trials, its gonna be hard but eventually you'll have stuff dialled n' learnt. All about balance man, balance and control, making things nice and smooth even when they require power. you'll know what i mean once you've been riding for a while :P all the best buddy, whatever you do DON'T stop riding, keep being determined and once you've mastered the basics, push yourself every now and then and you'll bloody love it! (Y)

(The forum can have some annoying people and time wasters, most of the time im one of them (apparently) but honestly I couldn't care, I'm too busy riding and I get my respect by being outside with riders, not on a keyboard haha, but theres a great bunch of people on here ready to help you out) :)

All the best man (Y)

Thanks fokes.

After a few outings on my bike it is harder than it looks lol i knew it wouldnt be a walk in the park but it will take time. Just trying to master the track stand but always got the urge just to bounce on the back wheel but suppose i better learn to walk before i run. Most of all im having fun doing it think ill try getting some pallets next.

Not sure if its just me but im wanting to know if id be better with a 26" bike due to my height so ill have to find someone local to me for a shot lol

Not sure if its just me but im wanting to know if id be better with a 26" bike due to my height so ill have to find someone local to me for a shot lol

Pallets are always great(that's what have), but make sure you spend A LOT of time doing technical riding(rocks, balancing on narrow objects, etc). I rode only pallets and simple stuff before my first competition, then got there and realized that I could rear wheel hop(I couldn't pedal kick, gap, or do anything useful on the rear wheel), but couldn't trackstand, ride over small rocks, or anything that is necessary in a comp. Also, don't get stuck in the whole "you MUST learn rear wheel hops immediately, they are the only thing that counts in trials" thing. You will need to learn them and you can do that now, but get your basics and 2 wheel riding solid before you rear wheel hop/pedal kick/gap over everything.

I'd stick with the 20" for a while. It's a great bike, and will be wonderful to start on. I found that 20" bikes are more flicky and make some moves easier to learn(also great in small spaces, tight corners, etc), while 26" bikes are more stable, and easier to control. I ride a 26" now, and really like it.

That's just my opinion, everyone has a different riding style, bike, and attitude. The best thing I can say is try everything, and pick what feels right to you. It isn't about what other people think, it's about what you like. :)

Good luck,

Johannes

Edited by jnthebiker