rear wheel problem/dilema what to buy?

Jordan B

hey, ive got a serious problem with my rear hub, my bearings were completley shot, so just to keep it together i press fitted sealed bearings but i had a slight accident and ended up snapping my axle which basically destroyed the bearings, so im stuck with the options of a new back wheel or hub that supports a disk, or would i be better off getting a normal wheel and running a magura break, i found the rear drilled compete wheels were getting quite pricey, i dont mind buying second hand parts but what would i be best of doing first which will be the best value for money as i dont have a huge amount to spend, i could also do with help with my cranks, any suggested parts? any good value cranks/freewheel?

post-38027-0-83303500-1435618347_thumb.j

is that front free wheel ? getting a second hand complete wheel would be easier and similar price to getting a second hand hub and lacing it. There are tons of mod parts about on the forum. If you change to rim brake, youll need the brake and clamps and pads which may set you back up to £50.

If you are looking for cranks and freewheel second hand, remember there are different lengths so just get some that came from a mod, is your bottom bracket ISIS splined or square ?

yeah its a front freewheel, i dont mind doing the lacing myself so could save a few quid there, i suggested changing to a rim brake because when i was looking on tartybikes basically none of the wheels support a disk until they hit around £120, i was thinking it might turn out cheaper to buy a second hand wheel and brake, and just get rid of my back end.... the cranks on it are odd ive got a trialtech with the freewheel on and then the onza one that came with the bike, i was going to ask aswel (mine are square) would it be worth changing to ISIS? i saw a nice reasonably priced crank/freewheel/ISIS combo more expensive than just cranks but would i benefit from an ISIS?

thanks for replying :)

There isn't any noticeable difference between isis and square, but i haven't seen much square stuff available, and in my opinion long term there isn't much point in buying square stuff as if you build another bike you'll want isis or splined and it will be hard to sell on.

You have to be careful upgrading bikes, because you could end up spending loads of cash when you can usually pick up a decent full build for £300 second hand on here. It would be more sensible long term to replace the back wheel or replace the hub as cheaply as possible and not change anything else. Then if you want to upgrade sell that bike and buy a custom complete second hand.

if you can find the same hub you could maybe just take the axle and bearings out, without having to lace the wheel.

put up a post in the wanted section, it should help.