ACL Ligament Injury

Sam Song

I might have torn my ACL ligament on my right knee yesterday.

I am definitely pissed that it was a tiny move that I did not even think about.

Anyways, has anyone here had a ACL injury? Were you able to get back to riding at all?

Any websites you recommend for exercises in the mean time?

I am planning on getting the surgery done as soon as possible.

Edited by Sam Song

A bunch of my BMXer friends have done it - some went for surgery and some chose not to but they all got back to riding. Pretty much all pro BMXers have had that injury too and got back riding at a high level (Dakota Roche as an example), so you don't need to worry about that too much. The main thing seems to be making sure you get your physiotherapy done.

• Like 1

Yep, although I found out a few weeks ago that my surgery has failed...

It does actually suck a lot, you should definetly spend at least a year off your trials bike after getting the op. As Mark said really genuinely focus on that physiotherapy. The surgery is painful but you should be back to walking after two maybe three weeks although with pain still. After the surgery make sure you can get your leg straightened within those first few weeks. I spent a tonne of time doing physio because I've had shoulder issues as well but found out the ligament has ruptured anyway (that only happens to about 4% I think my surgeon said so don't focus on my example too much.

Good luck though, it's tough but definety manageable. The main bit of advice I'll give you is do not rush into any physical movement's after the operation for months.

First off you will get back.....I've had two acl''s done and it takes a while for the knee to get back in shape. Some do it in 3 months other a year or two...but patience is your friend...light walking, road bikes and straight leg lifting is you friend the first few months...do rush it, you gotta live with the knee the rest of your life....

And good luck with rehab, let us know how you go...

I have visited my physio who told me to start with stationary cycling to get full range of motion back.

I have been doing 1 hour of stationary cycling for the past two days, and the range of motion has gotten noticeably better.

I live in Canada. And while it is good that the general health insurance will cover the cost of all my medical expanses, there is a lengthy wait time for the MRI shots, as well as the knee surgery.

I have been told that the expected wait time of 1 month for MRI, and up to six months for the knee surgery.

So yeah, I am expecting a long recovery time. But I should be able to walk properly even without the surgery right? And I am happy to do some xc riding for a while until I get better.

I have visited my physio who told me to start with stationary cycling to get full range of motion back.

I have been doing 1 hour of stationary cycling for the past two days, and the range of motion has gotten noticeably better.

I live in Canada. And while it is good that the general health insurance will cover the cost of all my medical expanses, there is a lengthy wait time for the MRI shots, as well as the knee surgery.

I have been told that the expected wait time of 1 month for MRI, and up to six months for the knee surgery.

So yeah, I am expecting a long recovery time. But I should be able to walk properly even without the surgery right? And I am happy to do some xc riding for a while until I get better.

The thing is, your knee will probably feel fine after it's recovered from the initial shock. The problem's the potential for it to give out again or cause further damage to cartilage and all that. At the moment my ACL is ruptured and good for nothing but feels completely fine, there's three categories I've been told about for people ACL tears - people who get the op, copers (people who manage to make due by adding a tonne of muscle on the knee) and then people who just give up kind of by not doing anything slightly dangerous. So you just about can do without if you're lucky and it can return to feeling normal.

But yea, you're in a good position to build muscle when you get the motion back, and that muscle is never going to be a bad thing to have. UK NHS waiting times are about the same, ou just missed the three weeks after the MRI to actually get the results :P

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update: I got MRI results. And it seems that I have indeed torn my ACL completely and partially my MCL. I did get lucky with the MRI imaging since I did not even have to wait a month to get to it when most people wait up to a year just to get the MRI done. I will opt for the surgery, which has a wait time of 1 year as I was told. But in the meantime, I could strengthen my hamstrings which could compensate for the torn ACL. It was also kind of unexpected since I have been doing some distance cycling, as well as walking, with other activities too (although not as vigorous as trials). So I actually did not think my ACL would be completely torn. Anyways, 1 year is not too much of a big deal, so I will just do some xc riding. Maybe learn the trackstands all 4 ways.