Flat 360 bunnyhop

Aldred_85

Hi all.

I've watched video tutorials, and read guides but i'm really struggling to do a 360 hop. Admittedly all tutorials seem to be on bmx. Is the technique different on a 24"?

I can 180 all day long, even when i'm trying to go further. Doh! Wondering if its a commitment/mental issue.

It's a similar technique. I could do them on my BMX and it feels pretty much the same on the 24 - if you're comfortable with 180s, all it really is is a case of slightly carving more (or faster) on the preload, but then keeping the back end tucked up rather than dropping it down again when you get to your highest point. If you just focus on that you'll find you'll start getting further around, and after that it's a case of refining technique. Not dropping the rear end too early is the main thing though! Also, it can be tempting to go OTT on the carve in at the start. I find if you do that then you end up actually losing momentum for the spin because your body weight ends up being in the wrong place when you actually take off. If your front wheel starts sliding or squirming too much when you're carving, it's also a sign that you're maybe going a bit overboard with it too, although it could also be slightly low tyre pressure.

• Like 1

Front wheel higher is basically how you learn it, but then as you get more comfortable you start keeping the back end tucked for longer and you'll get the textbook tucked 360 look on the go. I found (and still find) with 360s that the limiting thing is always how long you keep the back end up for. When you're learning, you're basically just trying to increase the amount of airtime and decrease the amount of back wheel pivot you'll inevitably end up doing.

• Like 1

If you spin the correct way (outside foot forward) you'll have a much easier time. They're a pain in the arse for me and I don't really like doing them, just land as flat as you can, landing front high looks and feels bad.

also its worth filming yourself and checking that you are actually doing a proper bunny hop and not just hopping, its really hard to get enough height for full rotation if you are just hopping. IMO Trials bikes are well hard to 360 compared to bmx.

I think that'll come down to setup to an extent - in some ways I find 3's more consistent on my trials bike than my BMX because the bike's a little bigger so it feels more controllable. You can sling a BMX around but it feels to me like you have to be a lot more precise with it.

I did learn them on BMX first though so that probably helped with initially getting the feel of them. That said, if you can pop reasonable height 180 bunnyhops on a trials bike you should be able to get some 3's on the go too (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

That's me - I'd entirely forgotten about that video. Fun weekend...

Both Ali and I do a few in this, too:

My bit starts at 7:35 and Ali's starts at 11:41, although Flipp and Carl do some rad shit before then so you should probably strap in for the long haul ;)

• 2 weeks later...