SUPER High Spec 26" Comp Bikes

jnthebiker

Here's my dad's, just built up for the competition this Saturday in Colorado. He went around the shop weighing everything to find out what was lightest. Only weight compromise was for the tires, and he has some nicer cranks and more ti bolts on the way.

post-37836-0-78683600-1436309438_thumb.j

Here's my dad's, just built up for the competition this Saturday in Colorado. He went around the shop weighing everything to find out what was lightest. Only weight compromise was for the tires, and he has some nicer cranks and more ti bolts on the way.

That's a beauty!! I was hoping to make it to Colorado, but I live all the way out in New York, and I'm young, and super busy. Maybe next year. I'm looking forward to seeing pics and vids from it though!

Edited by jnthebiker

Nowadays you can buy a high spec bike off the shelf and they're not that interesting, basically everyone has one.

Back like 6-10 years ago you would be wowed by the pros bikes because they were custom, modified or really hard to come by. There's nothing really 'wow' out there anymore.

• Like 1

In fairness, Vincent, Abel, Benito and those guys do have some pimped out shit. The Jitsie guy's bikes at Tarty Days had some fully custom/proto stuff on there. Dani Comas had some very, very interesting cranks on there, as an example.

were custom, modified or really hard to come by. There's nothing really 'wow' out there anymore.

I wouldn't say so. I'm still trying to get a mate of mine to give me some decent pictures of his bike. He uses these hubs for instance. Can't buy them anywhere or not in mass at least.

post-36046-0-31839900-1437022322_thumb.j

The SpeedRace version were called the Top Gun hubs. You might still be able to find some old stock of them somewhere in the world, although be prepared for them to be pretty low quality. The ones we had at TartyBikes weren't as nicely finished as those.

The SpeedRace version were called the Top Gun hubs. You might still be able to find some old stock of them somewhere in the world, although be prepared for them to be pretty low quality. The ones we had at TartyBikes weren't as nicely finished as those.

Hmm, thanks.

My rear axle snapped and the bearings felt rough after a while. Managed to get an axle turned down in work but the tolerances the lad applied were shady. Ended up having to wrap tin can round it to stop it from rattling around the ID of the cartridge.

I also had a Ti cog on it which was stuck fast which I needed to get off to replace a spoke. Ended up grinding it off and f**king about an eigth of the threads on the hub. :/ the new cog went on reet though and still lasted for another year before I sold the wheel.

It had properly been through the wars but putting up with it's shoddy reliability in the end outwayed the attraction of how light it was, so I let it go.

True story that.

• Like 1