Sidehop technique/strength question

niconj

6 hours ago, jeff costello said:

i notice that too all the time. when  i start out, first try is often pretty good. then i can feel my brain going "what? we're doing that again? no way" and it's all downhill from there.

Couldn't have described it any better.

@AndyT: Rolling the bars up more doesn't feel right to me.

Edit: Next video will be lean and ripped but stiff nonetheless. :)

Edited by niconj

11 hours ago, insomnia said:

Well... Step one, get rid of that mustache aka "schnörres"

step two Chill!

your more stiff then a french Competition Rider.

you Need To Be more relaxed...

back straight and more flexible in your knees.

all in all it is way too forced. 

Easier said than done. I don't feel tense before doing a sidehop. I'm just stiff as f**k and can't get myself to do more stretching than 5 minutes.

P.s.: I don't have a mustache. I just haven't shaved in days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm having a nightmare trying to squeeze any more height using my current technique, getting an extra few inch seems impossible as if I'm going about it completely wrong, the idea behind tucking makes complete sense to me, but when i put it in to practice i get no where, its as if I'm made of glass..

have a look, any pointers will really help!

On 6.9.2016 at 9:30 PM, Davetrials said:

have a look, any pointers will really help!

More preload?

@AndyT As promised I lost some weight. :)

Here's my newest video. As @insomnia pointed out, I paid attention to a straight back. The "be more flexible" part is the hardest though. I still made some progress I think even though the wall isn't any higher. :D

• Like 1

I had a massive, massive breakthrough with sidehops today. 

Turns out it is ALL in my head, and not my technique... I usually practice on a wall near my house, and 2 years of crashing on the higher part of that wall gives me a mental block that I didn't really know I had.

went to another wall, brain switched off, mind on other things, and blasted out a sidehop a couple inches higher than a bit if the wall I never try because I'm too scared- and went far over it. 

I may be brakeless, but the technique is the same. Only thing I have to worry about that you don't- is my front wheel. I can't lock the brake and hold it on an edge- if it's on an edge, it's rolling off that edge very quickly indeed. (Because the wheel is turned sideways a fair amount)  And back straight and throwing the arms seems to help me a lot.

went back to the bit if the wall I could never do, brain switched off, did it first go, kept going until I'd done it 30 times and was too tired. It's not big- probably around 40" but a milestone in my head. Especially as I'm a good 4 inches over it in the air. :P 

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, niconj said:

My problem is this mental block. I get higher and higher on the wall I've jumped on half a year ago already. If I try a higher wall, not as high as my wheels are in the air on the lower wall, I don't even jump right. :(

i do the exact same thing. i dont take off properly if im scared. need to train my brain to turn off.. when i crash nothing bad happens, just hit my chainstay.

• 1 month later...

i've been struggling with sidehops for months... it never felt right, really shitty heights and never landing on the backwheel, always very uncomfortably on both wheels. i thought i just needed more training and some working on my technique, so i went on. there was a little progress, but barely.

two days ago i rolled my bars back, because i felt like maybe trying some new stuff and bam! sidehops are back. after months of struggling i really feel like a weight came off my shoulders. 

and i didn't even have the bars excessively rolled forwards, just a bit. now they are a tiny bit more forward than vertical. the positioning of the bars seems to have a huge influence on my posture / ass-positioning on the bike. 

Edited by jeff costello

And I haven't been sidehopping since I got the new bike. It's become really difficult with a 24'' street bike. I will have to practice them though. The only downside is, that I jump to the left and I have already smashed a rotor doing so. :(

• 3 months later...

I have another, somehow related question. Since I left pure trials I'haven't been doing any sidehops as I am afraid of hitting my rear rotor. Anyways... After a lot of improvement (Bunny Hops etc.) over the last couple of months on my Inspired, I started to try some gapping and was perplexed as to how hard it is on a street bike. I never felt so weak. Where I could gap the length of my pure trials 26'' and a bit more, I can now barely gap the length of my 24''. Since I have the same strength I had when I left my Rockman in the cellar, I should think that it comes down to the technique only. 

Is there a different technique on gapping a 24'' street bike in comparison to a 26'' pure trials bike? I see lots of you doing huge gaps on a street rig making it look easy. I dunno what to think or I may not be as strong as I thought I am.

Edited by niconj

Any pure trials bike is like a huge lever that makes large gaps instantly possible.  

My gu makes unheard of gaps possible... I won't even attempt the same ones on my hex, which is set up in a street configuration. If I put a long and low stem on the hex it would be a bit better... I have no experience on a 24", but Ali can gap far as fuuuuuu on his- in sure he's just a good rider and would be able to go hilariously huge on a comp "cheater" bike.

main thing is just riding your bike a lot and trying to gap a lot of you want to get better! Good for you for realizing that sidehops are the worst thing in the world early on in your trials career...don't get too into labeling it street or competition, just ride your bike up and over stuff and have fun.

yeah, streety bikes are waaaay harder to gap and sidehop! As Andy said you just don't get the leverage or the room to move your body like you do on a longer bike...plus the harder tyre pressure makes it more difficult too.

I used to static gap around 9ft on my comp bike, now I struggle on things past 6ft and my sidehops have lost nearly a foot too.

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

yeah, streety bikes are waaaay harder to gap and sidehop! As Andy said you just don't get the leverage or the room to move your body like you do on a longer bike...plus the harder tyre pressure makes it more difficult too.

I used to static gap around 9ft on my comp bike, now I struggle on things past 6ft and my sidehops have lost nearly a foot too.

Thanks to both of you. I guess I'll have to practice gaps a bit more to be able to get some distance covered. What bothers me though is that I have done plyometrics and strength training (mainly for playing basketball) my entire life but it doesn't seem to help at all.

It's a stupid comparison I know but you Ali, weigh only 70kgs. and jump so much higher and further than I do, weighing 90kgs (not being fat apparently). There must be something very wrong with my technique because I don't think that I lack strength.

30 minutes ago, niconj said:

It's a stupid comparison I know but you Ali, weigh only 70kgs. and jump so much higher and further than I do, weighing 90kgs (not being fat apparently). There must be something very wrong with my technique because I don't think that I lack strength.

Strength and power is all relative,It's all about that power to weight ratio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

i'm still struggling with sidehops a bit... i just can't seem to get the proper techique down. i've just watched some slo-mos and a  tutorial on youtube and i've suddenly realized something weird. i'm a strange sidehopper anyway (right foot forward and hop towards the right too, jumping left is a big struggle for me).

standing on the back wheel one usually tilts the bars towards one side for stability. guy in the video said "pull bars towards your back foot" and i've always done it the opposite way. pulling bars a bit towards my front foot feels a lot more natural too me. is this something i should try to re-learn the other way?