confused about different versions of 2014 Magura hs33

dizpark

Hi!

My kid has a used Monty 207 bike with 2011 hs33 hydraulic rim brakes. Both the frame and the fork has 4-bolt mounts. The brakes need to be changed (leaks oil at the lever, as per usual). I hear that the new 2014 maguras are much better. But I am confused about different versions of these brakes that are sold.

do I need these

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/magura-hs33-r-trial-rim-brake/aid:787010

or can i buy these as well

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/magura-hs33-r-rim-brake/aid:787006

I understand that the regular (non-trial) version comes with extra hardware to fit it on V-brake mounts, and it comes without the 4-bolt clamp (or what magura calls IDM). But since i have the 4-bolt clamps from my current 2011 hs33 set-up, I thought these whould work. Am I right? The reason why I am thinking of getting the non-trial version is that it can be purchased as a front/back set cheaper than the trial version.

An alternative would be to buy only the new style hs33 levers since the slave cylinder part of out 2011 hs33 brake seems to be OK. Would this be a good idea, or should I better upgrade the whole set?

Yet another alternative replacement would be Echo SL rim brakes. Any thoughts on these? Are hey a better/worse alternative than the 2014 hs33 Maguras. Performance is one thing, but I am mostly looking for reliability - we have hada lot of problems with 2011 hs33 Maguras with leaking /broken master cylinders.

Those maguras are the same thing, aside from the pads and mounting hardware. Have you considered just replacing the levers?

Thaks a lot for your reply.

Yes replacing just levers is an option too. I may still buy the whole set, so that I have spares if the 2011 slave cylinder part gives up the ghost , too.