MTB Crankset Inspired Console/Arcade

Christiaan

I've seen some topics regarding problems fitting a (shimano) mtb crankset to one of the steel Inspireds. Including my slx m665 crankset not fitting my console (granny ring hitting the frame).

The Truvativ Hozfeller/howitzer combo works fine but is also quite heavy...

So which of the mtb cranksets out there will fit without problems using a 22t/bashring setup?

Thnx!

So your running 3 spacers on the drive side and none on the none drive side? There isn't much thread to go in the frame this way, is there? And then you still have to mod the crank it self.

Just looking at my options for a crank that fits with the right amount of spacers on each side and without modification.

I substitute bb spacers for axle spacers.

Exactly what I did to run SLX cranks on my Arcade. My BB cups are screwed all the way in (no spacers), then I got some M24 washers for pence off of ebay to put on the axle. One thing to note is that if you do it this way you will probably have to remove or cut down your BB centre tube.

Before I did this I had all 3 spacers on the drive side and it stripped the threads on my drive side Hope BB cup so I switched to the method above and I haven't had a single problem.

So your running 3 spacers on the drive side and none on the none drive side? There isn't much thread to go in the frame this way, is there? And then you still have to mod the crank it self.

Just looking at my options for a crank that fits with the right amount of spacers on each side and without modification.

2 normal spacers plus one small (1mm?) spacer on drive side (you can just see the thin silver one next to the cup) and one on non-drive side:

post-1823-0-26479700-1436811117_thumb.jp

I run two spacers on the drive side bb cup and one on the other and as above a spacer on the axle. I had tall teeth on my chainring which I had to grind 1-2mm off to clear, thats a possible option instead of grinding the chainring tabs themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

They were originally intended to run the Inspired setup (which works fine), or a similar BMX-crank based setup, but with MTB cranks they seem to keep mounting the inner rings further inward which causes clearance issues. For example using the Hope cranks on a Skye is a really tight fit, and only certain chainrings work, despite that having a relatively svelte BB yoke.

Having seen Ali's setup when he fitted some new SLX cranks last week it seems like going down the spacer-on-the-axle route is the way to go.

• 1 year later...

Wish I had thought of the axel spacer... 

I was running 3 spacers one side w my SLX cranks and none on the other and a riding friend warned me... so I took one off, put on the other side - ground down the chainring tabs so the cog just clears the chainstay on my hex.

It just cleared the chainstay of my old 4play and I never really thought about it since many trials parts just don't fit like MTB ones do. Now this on the console. I ordered 3 of those axle spacers which should be enough.