6.57 kg. My ultralight 24" build

Target

Two months of riding have passed. You might wonder if any part of the bike is still alive, or this victim of perfectionism has gone to the junkyard.

The worst thing that happened to the bike is scratches on the anodised frame. My heart bleeds when I see it.

Have bent 2 teeth on the pedals. That doesn't affect the adhesion though.

Echo TR levers are bleeding softly. I have changed the right lever piston to red Racing Line piston, seems like it has stopped bleeding. The good thing is that both front and rear pads work great, bite with a loud sound even in the wet.

The rear rim tape was too rubbery so I changed it to the black scotch-tape. It saved me about 10 g :)

Thin-wall tubes are amazing! I ride often, about 4 times a week, but have got only 2 pinch flats in two month.

Tyres have been worn out slightly, so they've got a little bit lighter. The weight of the bike is 6.54 kg at the moment. 

0_12cc79_ecb124a5_L.jpg

It's easy to get used to the lightweight bike. The weight now feels just normal for me. But the bike still feels amazingly responsive, and my level has really increased after changing the bike.

An August photo in action: 

0_123d32_f8ba2f7b_XL.jpg

Video is coming soon!

• Like 2

You need to machine the headset cups down, that'll shave a few more grams off

There is no need to machine the headset since Trialtech Sport Lite headset is already machined. But I had my Zhi L headset pressed into the frame when Trialtech Sport Lite was released.

Some points around the frame could of been drilled. Top gusset on the frame, around the headtube, underside of bottom bracket and seatub. Put a nice radius on them to help with any stress few more g off. 

Tried too google for the hubs but no luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some points around the frame could of been drilled. Top gusset on the frame, around the headtube, underside of bottom bracket and seatub. Put a nice radius on them to help with any stress few more g off. 

Tried too google for the hubs but no luck. 

You're right. But I have reduced wall thickness on the gussets, BB tube and seattube, it saved me some grams.

"Verzin" is very small local producer located in Saint-Petersburg, Russia. I think nearly 200-300 Verzin hubs have been ever made. They are nice and strong, but unfortunately the producer isn't really interested in expansion of production. So there is no site at the moment.

5_ogHp0rjfU.jpg

V6JAv1Q7FLg.jpg

EfY47nMZ67U.jpg

• Like 2

Bordering 60 euros for tubes that look like they'll pop the moment you pump them up? Looks like one of those more money than sense items. Prove me wrong though if someone uses them for trials.

One guy in our group runs them w/o any problems. You have to use the right pressure though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.10.2015, 11:49:58, niconj said:

@Target: Ever thought about getting some ECLIPSE tubes? Would save you another 100gr.

I thought about Eclipse tubes, of course, but met several bad reviews on latex tubes from trials riders.

Reviews from MTB riders are quite good, they say about high snake bites resistance of latex tubes as against normal tubes. But some guys I know have had a bad experience with latex tubes in trials, they got snake bites a few times a day.

Nice to see two good reviews about Eclipse tubes! May be I'll try one on front wheel.

The more interesting thing I thought were tubeless tires, at least front tire. But to prevent burping on low pressure, the rim must have special profile as modern MTB rims. Neon single wall rims profile differs a lot from it. I've red a lot about tubeless experiments on this forum, but looks like everybody has problems with burping.

30mm-Width-29er-Hookless-Carbon-MTB-Rim-

Well, I was wrong about Eclipse tubes. I thought it was latex like Foss and Michelin, but haven't found any information about Eclipse material. Bad reviews from trials riders were only about latex tubes. It's interesting to try Eclipse if it worth the price.

• 2 months later...
On 05.02.2016 at 6:26 PM, jambo said:

How you getting on with that rocket ron up front? 

It's wearing out faster than I expected, but works perfect. Grip is normal, bite resistance is normal, just a normal lightweight tyre.

And I like the idea of shortening side knobbles, the tyre holds better and feels much more reliable on inclined surfaces.