new to trials

Just looking at getting into trials, I've ridden dirt jump before and downhill, and currently still ride an mtb. With that in mind I think a 24" street trials would be probably most suited to me. I've been offered this Marino off someone I know for 350, will it be suitable for me?

Spec is as follows:

Frame set:

Marino custom handmade steel frame (inspired fourplay geo)

Fsa orbit head set

Inspired forks (with custom foot jam plate bit tatty looking but works Sooo well!)

Trial tech stem 35x50

Inspired handle bars

Drive:

Truvativ hussefelt cranks and external bb.

Inspired 4bolt bash

Onza duel wheel tensioner with alloy jockeys

Finishing kit:

Green BMX chain (only choice at LBS at the time)

Éclat poly pedals

Éclat suede seat and mc Neil pivotal post.

(Green grips not included as they were a gift from a friend that I won't part with)

Brakes:

Avid bb5 rear & bb7 front, on sd1 levers with a goodridge hose on the rear and Ashima front cables.

Duel 180mm clean sweep rotors

Wheels:

Hope pro 2 evo hubs, team green. On inspired undrilled rims Sapim spokes.

Maxxis holy roller tyres 2.4

Cheers

It depends what style you want to ride, my personal experience is that learning trials moves is way easier on a pure trials bike, and learning bmx moves is way easier on a bmx. I think riding a fourplay held me back but it was really versatile and creative feeling, if I could only have one bike its what I would ride.

If you want to progress quickly, I think riding a pure trials bike and a bmx will progress you quicker as street trials bikes are a comprimise between two different styles. But that is just from my experience, there are plenty of people who get fourplays first and do well on them.

The main thing is you need to ride for a bit before you can decide what style you want to ride. You will also know what is important in a bike for you. If you get a good deal second hand you can always sell it on when you want to change.

Edited by ooo

I have no idea whether that is a good deal at the moment, how well a bike has been maintained makes a big difference too; if you have to end up replacing stuff. The bars stem and forks are all good/correct geometry wise and the tyre choice is standard so it will ride like it should, that's mostly what matters. The wheel set is a decent setup too.

it won't and shouldn't feel like a DJ.

Edited by ooo

• 3 weeks later...