Trials on Trails?

Sponge

Does anyone else double-duty their streety 24" or 26er as a trail bike?

Yeah it's far from the most ideal bike for that kind of riding but for now I'm really enjoying hooning around local trails with my brother and our best friend. I ride a 24" with 22:15 ratio. They're on well-specced hardtails that I built for them (hence no longer having a proper MTB for myself) and I plan on taking us to trail centres in the near future.

I know it's not popular but I'm wondering if anyone else does it and would love to hear other peoples' experiences.

Something like this:

My brother built up a streety-ish 24" build that he used to ride some of their local loops on. It was a dirt jumpy kinda frame, with 24" wheels (think he had High Roller and Big Betty 2.5"s on it), short stem, low-ish rise bars, two brakes, singlespeed. I had a go on it while I was over there and although it was fun for some stuff it felt pretty vicious on some of the rougher/faster rockier trails we rode. Compared to the full sus bike I rode it felt really slow, although it was fun being able to throw it around a little more easily.

If you're planning on just riding stuff like trail centres then for the most part you'd probably be OK, but if you start riding less manicured kinda stuff then it might feel like it's out of its depth a little more quickly. Fun all the same though (Y)

Ah that's awesome. I definitely know what you mean about it feeling vicious on the rougher trails. The local trails around here are very hilly and full of roots so eyeball rattle is something I've gotten used to. Getting thrown off the bike on some of the untamed downhill segments happens from time to time, and always hurts, but then again running Arcade bars and a steep HA on that terrain is kind of asking for it to happen. :)

You're right though. It is fun!

I was wondering something similar-ish on the bike out of it's habitat question, I took my xc bike down some downhill sections this morning just crouched with the seat wedged between my legs, was a real grapple trying to keep it upright, but it's mega satisfaction if you can get through a section. So much fun riding a bike not built for purpose.

Edited by OlegTinkov

Before I got my Cube 29er I used to take my 24" bike up the trails. To be honest it was awful, but that was, I'm sure, down to me being extremely unfit.

I think I'm going to take it up there again but with dirt tyres on instead of the park / street ones.

I'll let you know!