resolved, please close

HarryBradbury

My local 'pro' bike shop was useless, I had exactly the same issue with a bmx wheel and had to go back twice to sort it! There's another (sort of non profit) bike shop locally, I took my trials wheel to them and got it back the next day, absolutely perfect and so cheap I couldn't believe it, can't speak highly enough about them. Guess it's all about the want to do the job rather than the want for money.

The shop I work at is a shop that's been around for a very long time, we're more... Traditional? when we true a wheel, we true a wheel. We have some trials stuff in store as well- found 60 pairs of carbon bars in a box in our warehouse :P whereas the super modern shop on the other side of town can't do jack shit, the amount of bad reviews is unreal. I guess there's some good and bad.

Come on, we've all got full time jobs, except the kids! Straightening

a wheel is a ten minute job!

That's not really the point, if I book my wheel in, regardless of how long it may take (FYI, it does not take 10 minutes, I'm no where near the speed of a mechanic), I expect it back with the job done properly. Edited by HarryBradbury

Yep. I've served time at 3 LBSs over the years, one being pretty into their MTB scene and one being a large, Hellish chain of Frauds and in all 3 I've been the guy with the least "official qualifications" but the only one to be able to true wheels etc. Pretty sorry state of affairs.

If you want it done right, do it yourself. I get that not everyone knows how or has the time readily available, but I guarantee it's worth your while to do. Doesn't take as long as you think.

I booked my front wheel in at my local bike shop to have the front wheel trued and tensioned, easy enough, got the wheel back (4 bloody days later) with none of the spokes correctly tensioned.

How much did you pay for that to be done, out of interest?

I've always enjoyed the mechanical part of riding and with the kids now it's quite nice to disappear into the garage once they're in bed and rebuild my MTB from my hardtail frame to the FS or whatever. And for simple stuff like truing wheels I'd certainly never consider taking it anywhere.

• Like 3

Everyone starts off having no clue but everything especially in our sport is easy to service and keep up to when you know how to do it and most of the time (especially truing a wheel) it doesn't take up any time at all. You could have had it sorted yourself by the time you'd been and booked it into the bike shop :giggle:

How much did you pay for that to be done, out of interest?

It took the bike shop around 45 minutes which equated out as around £16.

Everyone starts off having no clue but everything especially in our sport is easy to service and keep up to when you know how to do it and most of the time (especially truing a wheel) it doesn't take up any time at all. You could have had it sorted yourself by the time you'd been and booked it into the bike shop :giggle:

If I had known it would take that long I would have just found the time and done it myself

I watched youtube videos to teach myself how to service my fox forks. So easy when you know how. It's not a black art like people think.

Surprisingly little in a £900 pair of forks, isn't there.

It took the bike shop around 45 minutes which equated out as around £16.

If I had known it would take that long I would have just found the time and done it myself

45 minutes to do f**k all is pretty neato.

My local bike shop doesn't even carry the tubes i require 26x2.25. 

Rubber expands and stretches. 26" can fit in 29".  26" can fold into a 20" wheel etc etc.

I bang any 26" in my 2.5 rear majority of the time its cheap tubes that have a 2.25 max width but still hold. 

Edited by AndeeeMK2

The time it takes you to carry the rim or any part to a shop and then wait for them to service it, and THEN to go back for it, just do repeat the process 3 more times because they did it all wrong is ridiculous, you can fix pretty much anything with basic tools and a youtube video in 1/10th the time. Especially in trials. 

The time it takes you to carry the rim or any part to a shop and then wait for them to service it, and THEN to go back for it, just do repeat the process 3 more times because they did it all wrong is ridiculous, you can fix pretty much anything with basic tools and a youtube video in 1/10th the time. Especially in trials. 

1. I work right next to the bike shop, so carrying it to the shop really isn't an effort. 

2. At the time, I didn't think I'd be able to straighten this wheel as the buckle was pretty bad and it would take a lot of time, hence taking it to the bike shop in the first place.

3. I'm not going to simply give up and take it home after paying for the job I originally requested, therefore I was happy to leave it there for a few more days. 

4. TIME wasn't the primary factor in this, it was quality, again, hence taking it to the bike shop. (little did I know the quality wouldn't be as good as I had hoped)

Edited by HarryBradbury