Start trials with a MTB bike

angava

I'm planning to start learning trials primarily to improve my skills at MTB. I currently have a 26 MTB bike that I don't use very much (I ride with a 29er).
Considering that my main goal is to improve for MTB, do you think I could practice trials with the MTB bike I have, or it would be better to get a trials bike? 

I guess is harder to learn with a MTB, but i don't know how it would be to learn with a trials bike and then try to apply that when doing MTB.

I heard that the rims and frame-tail suffer very much when practicing trials, so I'm not sure if it's good to use a MTB bike. Thanks

It is possible but you have to understand the style. Modern competiton trials is't really possible on a mtb for a normal person. However if you just want to get better and mtb style trials it is. If you look up ryan leech he was very popular back in the day and rode north shore style, which is very technical MTB and used trials techniques. If you watch modern trials they spend a lot of time on the back or front wheel but old mtb trials was more two wheeled rolling stuff. Chris Akrigg does a lot of this stuff now too. You will be able to learn it as long as you don't get side tracked trying to learn modern competition style.

Ryan leech did a tutorial series on trials which would be best to watch because it is on an mtb, although it was setup for that style of riding.

I think some people on here ride like that, sort of technical xc ? I think in the moto world it is called hard enduro.

this is the tutorial series to find::

here are some random vids:

• Like 1

As did most of the longer-serving members of this forum. For picking up the basics of bike handling there's no reason not to and if you already have a MTB then it saves you from having to spend any money on new kit, simply drop your saddle as low as you can, make sure your brakes are working and shift into an easy gear. Once you get to a certain level (usually around the time you're back-hopping around comfortably, working up to slightly bigger gaps, sidehops etc) then you'll likely naturally be at a point where you know enough to pick up your first dedicated bike (Y)

• Like 3

Tried riding trials on a dirt jump bike, found it to hard but didnt know why at the time. Started doing some reading round and figured may be best to get a trials bike so got a street trials bike. Found it miles easier to start to pick up skills and understand techniques using the trials bike than i ever did the DJ bike pimarily due to the lighter bike with better suited geometry. Not saying you cant ride trials on a DJ or mtb but from my own experiences you may save yourself alot of headache and frustration getting something like an inspired flow or an onza zoot which are relatively cheap but may allow you to learn in a less hindered way. If you do buy a trials bike, do plenty of research to ensure it suits what you want from it.

• 2 weeks later...