What MTB tire do you run?

87Monty

I'm using 26"x2.25" michelin wildgripR2 advanced, light, grippy and were cheap on crc :)

Work nicely tubeless with my wtb kom rims and some sealant, mainly used them in the dry but not had any issues with grip, that said I used them for the brecon beast ride which had plenty of muddy sections and I had no issues.  They seem to be wearing pretty well and suffered no damage from the couple of miles of square edged slate roadway on the brecon ride. I will certainly buy them again if they're still cheap when the time comes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-wild-grip-r2-advanced-tyre/rp-prod118458

• Like 2

Great.

Im using continentals, 

First i try was 26x2.4 x-king racesport with standard walls, cheap and light tires. But they look 2.2" wide on my rims.  They was very grippy in all surfaces with lower pressurre for my body weight do get all the knobs to the ground. Good climbing in wet mud/grass etc.

Issues: very slippery on wet roots in the woods and on wet mountain stones in "downhill"

I took then off and saving them for summer riding instead.

Next try:  continental der baron apex protection. 26x2.5"  "wet king tyre"

Very grippy in all surfaces too, have not tryed them yet in the woods on wet rocks and wet roots but hope they will be better since is bigger knobs and chili rubber to be more stable and grippy.

As well i using dh tubes with those tire and they are very heavy now.  Maybe i will swap over the "old" tubes since they are lighter.. My frontwheel weight 2.65kg with that setup :S  

_20151114_210334.JPG

DSC_1870.JPG

DSC_1849.JPG

Edited by 87Monty

Im using bontrager xr mud 26x2.0 for the single speed/winter abuse bike. Great for XC rides on the south downs, very sticky clay and chalk in the winter.

For my trail bike its another thums up for on one tyres! have used cunky monkey 26x2.4 and they come up enormous! They have duel compound and grip like shit to a blanket. Only issue is they are quite draggy so i prefer the smaller smorgasbord 26x2.25 which are a bit more easy going for everything but downhill. They are essentially maxxis tyres and are made in the same factory (mate of mine used to work at on one).

Seriously impressed with on one tyres and the smorgasbord are only a tenner at the moment! :lol:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X225/on-one-smorgasbord-26x225-tyre

Tell a lie, the duel compound smorgasbord tyres are £14.99, still a bargain!

They seem to work fairly well in all areas IMO. Sticky edges holds corners and cambers very well. I have used them on the south downs, friston forest (more chalky clay), surrey hills (sandy loam) and a few other local places. Rooty sections are good with these tyres compared to others iv used and they work well in loose conditions too. They don't seem to wear too fast either.

on my niner i ran ardents, rocket rons and hans dampfs (in various combos) the ardents were shit for tubeless so i went to the RR and HDs; i initially bought the RRs as a pair, they have paper thin sidewalls they're very compliant and offer decent grip despite their very low profile tread. i found they would burp air quite often if i really pushed them (i'm 100kg+ and my rims weren't tubeless specific, so i can't really grumble)

the hans dampfs were much more fit and forget; they have a much thicker sidewall (i beleive they're all mountain/light DH) the tread is more aggressive and pronounced than the ardents and RRs. obviously they're heavier with more tread so they required more effort to keep spinning but if your in good shape and you like to hammer a bike you'll probably appreciate their consistency and reliability.

i eventually settled with having a rocket ron on the rear and a hans dampf on the front; the rocket ron allowed me to skid and slide around but the hans kept everything predictable and consistent.

I think I run Mountain Kings, 2.4 up front and a 2.2 on the back. They seem a fairly good allrounder. Nothing outstanding but not terrible either. Can be quite loose through the bends if you want or they grip well if you really dig them in a bit.