Hope cranks on 2015 Arcade?

Jay T

3 minutes ago, JJ Leigh said:

They are just cranks they'll work on any bike. any cranks other than the inspired ones will feel totally different, in my oppinion a lot better! 

Sorry what I should have said, Has anyone fitted them to the 2015 Arcade without encountering any clearance issues. I've had various issues in the past on the original Arcade with Saints and BB spacers all on one side.. Any tips appreciated. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know for definite, but the Hope is only 2-3mm off clearing so theoretically any setup with a Q-factor of more than 167mm + 2-3mm should be fine.  It looks like as long as you get the right coded BB, any of those RaceFace ones would work fine.

• 6 years later...
On 1/8/2016 at 10:49 AM, Dman said:

I found out that middleburn q factor is, 57.5mm + spindle length

giphy.gif

Trying to do some weight saving and looking at crank options for my arcade (2015) and came across the Middleburn RS7 cranks. Compared to the RS8 these have a kinked arm to clear chainstays. The Q factor appears to be "approx. 182mm", so they should/could/might work?
I have no clue what specs I need in general, from this thread I gather 68/73 and the length of my choice, correct?
Also, any disadvantages of square taper? I don't think I've ever had square taper cranks before.. But the price difference looks quite beckoning.

Nah, you'll need to get a long boi for that to possibly work. The 2015 Arcade has a 68mm shell, but with cranks like Middleburns you'll need something like a 122mm or 127.5mm BB length to get clearance I'd imagine. Part of that is arm clearance, but part of it is chainring clearance too as from memory the Middleburn ones hold the chainring quite far inboard. You might be able to get away with something a little less, but I'd always rather have more clearance than less. Cranks will always have a bit of flex to them under load so you need to factor that in a bit as well - the original Truvativ Descendant cranks fitted the Arcade when the bike wasn't being ridden, but as soon as you started riding the bike properly they'd flex and hit the chainstays pretty badly.

Square taper is... ok. It's theoretically not a bad system, but I broke several square taper BB axles whereas I don't think I've broken any form of splined ones. As far as I know there's increasingly less support from manufacturers for longer square taper BBs too so that might factor in to things further down the line as well. If you wind up getting a 122/127.5 BB and there's acres of clearance then you could possibly size down in future so it wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

• Like 1