Pimp Inspired Element custom build

Mark W

32 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

absolutely the worst part about inspired bikes. the f**king tensioner is the main reason don't ride my 4play anymore and got a mod. never again a bike with vertical drop outs.

I run mine without a tensioner runs sweet.

They can make your drivetrain feel a little less direct in a way - it is kind of dependent on the exact setup though.  With some frames/ratios the tensioner is only really having to apply a little bit of additional tension to keep things nice and tight, but on others you can find you're having to take up a fair bit more slack and that's when they start feeling less than ideal, you get more rattling, etc.

On 18/01/2016 at 0:47 PM, uk24 said:

just seems they went all out on all the parts but not the frame or forks.

the frame and fork aren't "bad" by any means, just so happens that the complete bike you can buy new doesnt have hope, titanium and magura stuff on it. 

any skye's are very much different bikes compared to the rest.... not all about the most expensive

Edited by JJ Leigh

I sidehop to the right too - I landed on that tensioner arm a good few times with no issues.  If you've got about the right CS length for your setup you can get away with running the tensioner tucked up against the stay itself, so it supports it a lot better and usually avoids destroying everything.

• Like 2

:)

i was exaggerating a little bit. the 4play was my first trials bike. i was ogling the mods from the beginning, but i wanted something with a seat.  but when i found out that i was much more into static stuff than street, i wanted to change. also i had a christmas bonus on hand that had to somewhere.

still i found the chain tensioners the most unnecessarily annoying things ever. i did all that- tensioner arm againt the chain stay, ... still i kept messing it up or the hanger.  i bought a new mech hanger (appr €20 inc. postage) and within a week it was already bent again.

constantly bent hangers were affecting chain line, huge pita when changing tubes .  as a beginner every attempt at sidehops i was afraid of ruining the thing again.

Edited by jeff costello

8 hours ago, Mark W said:

I sidehop to the wrong way because I would rather land on my chain than be normal. #Rebel 

On a serious note I found that you can file the drop outs no problem to fit your chain but also drill and tap for a bolt so you can run a snail cam on the driver side to tension the chain that way, takes about 20mins of your time to mod the frame to work without and it far better in my eyes. Plus you're gaining a shorter chainstay length so its win win. 

Edited by Paperclip