Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avery.powell

Choosing stem length

6 posts in this topic

I'm very new to trials biking and just got a bike. It is awesome and im loving it, but I think the stem is a little too short. I was wondering if I could get a recommendation for a stem. I'm 6 foot 1 (185cm) , and I'm riding a 20 inch frame. 

Thankyou in advance!!

Edited by avery.powell

Do you know which stem you're running at the moment?  Either the Jitsie or Trialtech Forged 180mm stems should do the trick though (Y)  I'm similar in height to you and when I rode a mod I generally used a stem around that length and it made them feel a little more comfortable.  You could maybe try some slightly higher rise bars too to give yourself a bit more room to work with.  Again, can't really go wrong with what Jitsie and Trialtech are making bars-wise.

17 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Do you know which stem you're running at the moment?  Either the Jitsie or Trialtech Forged 180mm stems should do the trick though (Y)  I'm similar in height to you and when I rode a mod I generally used a stem around that length and it made them feel a little more comfortable.  You could maybe try some slightly higher rise bars too to give yourself a bit more room to work with.  Again, can't really go wrong with what Jitsie and Trialtech are making bars-wise.

Thankyou, I believe it's 120mm, though it might be even shorte. My bars have a good amount of rise so it's just the stem

If it's 120mm that's pretty short, even for a mod!  Anything 150mm or longer is the usual kind of size for a 20" bike.

2 minutes ago, Mark W said:

If it's 120mm that's pretty short, even for a mod!  Anything 150mm or longer is the usual kind of size for a 20" bike.

Yeah, as I said I just got into trials biking, and I bought that stem before I realized how insanely long trials stems are.  I come from mountain biking where 100+mm stems are unheard-of. Thanks for the advice

Also make sure you buy a dedicated mod stem and not a mountain bike one. you need a 30-35 degrees angle also (Y)