The Inevitable Question... Where is everyone?

dann2707

I think about 150 people still log in each day.

The top 10 or so threads in chit chat were started in 2012, one of them is from 2006, any new member glancing through the forum would think the place died 4 years ago. Plus, if you're not 'part of' those threads then it's not easy for new members to join in (it looks a bit cliquey), so when older members move on the new members don't come in to replace them.

I reckon FB etc play a part, but mostly I think trials was 'booming' around 2006 and that's when it peaked, since then I suspect less (fewer?) riders are getting into the sport (trials isn't cool when your dad does it!). TF traffic peaked around 2006 and has steadily declined ever since.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of forums etc practically move over to facebook pages. Irritating because they definitely don't provide the same functionality - when you are trying to find that useful piece of information that someone wrote a few weeks back, and now it's a few thousand comments down the page!

16 minutes ago, J.KYDD said:

It's not just on here that things are quiet. The whole trials scene in general seems to have died off loads over the last 18 months or so

I thought that. I remember 5 years ago or so there'd be a Leeds ride every weekend regardless, it just happened and there was always someone out. Met and made some really great friends on here and at those though. So much love for it!

I think that's why I stopped riding last year though, it started to always seem like massive effort to try and get people out. The south doesn't seem to be suffering with this problem though? Team toast seem to be going strong, riding often etc?

Dunno about everyone else, but I don't ride that much anymore, probably once or twice a month I'd say.

Mostly because I've started mountain biking so when I used to sit at work and daydream about where I was gonna go trials riding at the weekend, I now think about how much I NEED that brand new 160mm #enduro bike.

I also bought a boat and got into fishing, so during those perfect summer days when I'd normally be up on Dartmoor I'm now somewhere in the river Dart or Lyme bay burning petrol and fish bothering.

So shitty days are spent mtbing, nice days are spent on the beach or on the boat, and it gets harder to fit trials in around a gf / parties etc.

Having said that I do enjoy it when I get out, I just don't have that burning desire to do it anymore.

I think a lot of people in their mid to late twenties are the same.

• Like 1