The Inevitable Question... Where is everyone?

dann2707

2 hours ago, Dman said:

You wasn't really into it then, if you really liked trials you'd do it as well as these cooler faster hobbys.

Few less car mods could have you a bike easily, I'm pretty sure there's time in any week, your just sat on your arse doing nothing, you could ride instead, doesn't have to be hours. Also you don't need to travel anywhere, I often just throw myself around my garden or street at front. I know about priorities, house, work for myself, wife, 3 kids, dog, van, car, motorbike, quad and I still ride. All the above is more reason to ride get away from it all.

Not trying to start anything, I rarely post in this part of the forum, just trying to get people to think about getting back into what brought you all here, riding bikes. Try it you might like it.

I was really into it. My old flat was pretty much a hostel for riders from around Europe for 3 years, including those I'd never met. I ran the 24tour from 2009 until recently, which kept a few more riders in the game longer than they might otherwise have stuck around. I still come here to see what's going on in the trials world, but unfortunately it seems to have died off in a big way.

If you can find me time in the week that in sat on my arse doing nothing at a reasonable time so I can ride without cutting into my already limited sleeping pattern then I'd be happy to listen, but unfortunately I'm on a series of nuclear physics/reactor courses and away at sea at present, with a 6 month deployment coming up.

Ignoring time I'm away, I spend a lot of time travelling between Devon, Hampshire and Scotland for work, amongst other places. Carrying a bike in the car is no issue, but when I find out at 12 hours notice that I'm flying elsewhere the logistics become somewhat more tricky. 

You say you can ride anywhere, but as you can probably imagine they get a little funny when someone rides a trials bike around a military base, let alone starts jumping on (and inevitably damaging, unintentionally of course) the odd bench or wall. That leaves me with the option of going elsewhere which, if you know Gosport at all, means finding the couple of spots that exist (no biggy) and getting there, so even driving is going to be in excess of an hour or two of your time. 

Priorities chang, as you say, but I've got a house, job, partner and other hobbies that I do enjoy spending time with so I give those my time and financial attention first as I feel far more of a benefit from doing so. 

Some of my closest friends come from the trials community. We meet up, talk bikes, cars, work etc and that's enough for many of us now.

You don't have to ride to be a part of the community which is a damn good job because if we weren't here, I honestly think things would be in a far worse state than the one which led to this thread ;)

For the record, I do occasionally consider buying another bike but I simply don't want to ride in the same way I once did, and I have plenty of other hobbies that I'm now in a better financial position to undertake. I simply wouldn't be able to ride enough to justify taking up what little space I have left in the garage with another (#5) bike :P

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dann2707 said:

What happened to George? Apart from turning rather try hard weird. 

I moved 10 miles away from the main boys about a year ago so we're not as close as we used to be < / 3 

GB realised there was only 5 manoeuvres on trials bikes and got a bmx. Usual late teenager life also is appealing to young Georgiepoo 

I'm personally on here for the riding pages, Videos- bike pictures- bike chat. I think up until 2014 I used to check out the new members section sometimes. 

I usually just log on each day and have a scout and if I see any of the thread's haven't been updated in a day or so I do just go straight back off. Video section just about keeps going and I do try and put some input into those by commenting on them. I sort of do it in some cases just to give that person more comments to make them want to keep posting on the forum. 

I think that really shows in the video thread with a select few who comment more frequent, then we just look like we have something to say on every video when really it's just because there's so little actually coming out. Deep. 

• Like 2

I don't think I've rode since the start of 2013. I like others pumped in a lot of time riding trials in my youth, both moto and cyclo, if I remember right I sold it to get some funds so I could ride the Scottish Six Day trial but never got round to buying another. Keep getting temptations every now and then to buy one but I know it would just probably end up sitting there gathering dust. Since been on season long mountain bike trips and will be doing so again this year so still have an element of bikes to be involved in. 

I lurk here quite a lot actually but never really post that much. Generally just lurk in chit chat/bike chat, I just can't brake the habit of having a nosey through t-f.

Edited by Duncy H

6 hours ago, dann2707 said:

What happened to George? Apart from turning rather try hard weird. 

1 hour ago, isitafox said:

Masturbating and WKD?

Grass. George discovered grass. 

On the other hand I move house shortly and will have a big floodlit barn at the end of the garden which will possibly sway me into buying another bike and making an indoor setup 

I find it's always worth having a bike in the garage/shed/back room on the off chance you fancy 15 mins playing about on it. Plus everyone enjoys building up a new bike whether it's a top end spank worthy machine or a cheapo 2nd hand budget build!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dman said:

The not really into it bit wasn't aimed at you. Its all good.

Yeah Luke, that was for me, I also wasn't into Thomas the Tank or Sonic because they don't really feature in my adult life. My whole life has just been a sham.

• Like 1

I used to really really enjoy riding but the negativity from certain folk and what was basically utter childishness kind of tainted my view on it all. I've tried buying bikes and getting into it again, even came out on one or two group rides again but the feeling isn't there like it was. Not to say I don't enjoy the talk and company of some here. It's a fantastic place to get help and opinions on various matters. 

I might not have trials love like I did, but TF love lives on ({)

• Like 2

I haven't rode since 2008, casually messed about now and then in 2009.

I was pretty devoted around that time, went a good solid 4 years riding every spare minute I had but then grew up, serious relationship, work, cars etc etc. I've only been active on here the past 6 months because my urge to ride again has been overwhelming so bought a few bits to build another bike but it would seem that has died again now aswell, was pretty shocked when I saw that the forum/sport in general seems to have died off!

I will get round to finishing this Control I'm building but it wont be in a rush, I've got a busy few months ahead also a father now so riding time will be few and far between.

Edited by AdamAllen

I never even rode trials, ever.

I joined here for the car thread, that's it.

At one point I had something crazy like 10,000 more posts than the 2nd highest poster in the car thread...and they didn't even have 10,000 posts in the car thread

I just feel out of the loop with TF now, probably because I was banned for 3 years,

The trials fad is over and done with, and the less people who ride the less chance of other people getting into it. Downward spiral.

I still have a bike which I haven't touched in more than 3 years now. I'll never sell it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamAllen said:

I haven't rode since 2008, casually messed about now and then in 2009.

I was pretty devoted around that time, went a good solid 4 years riding every spare minute I had but then grew up, serious relationship, work, cars etc etc. I've only been active on here the past 6 months because my urge to ride again has been overwhelming so bought a few bits to build another bike but it would seem that has died again now aswell, was pretty shocked when I saw that the forum/sport in general seems to have died off!

I will get round to finishing this Control I'm building but it wont be in a rush, I've got a busy few months ahead also a father now so riding time will be few and far between.

Don't think that means you have less time to ride, I got back in to trials not long after my 1st son was born and rode all the time. It gets better when you get to the teaching to ride stage as me and my son used to go to an old factory car park down the road, he could whizz around on his balance bike whilst I played about on the walls and bollards. Then school arrives and you've got loads of free time again (assuming you don't work 9-5 that is!).

13 hours ago, JT! said:

The trials fad is over and done with, and the less people who ride the less chance of other people getting into it. Downward spiral.

Have you heard of a thing called 'the internet'? :P  Trials is more accessible/visible than it's ever been if you think about it.  When I got into trials there was a tiny bit in MBUK and whatever was on offer in the VHS section at Halfords.  Now, you can find out about trials incredibly easily, there are a range of bikes available, loads of information to help you out, etc.  To use a couple of examples, Flipp got into trials by happening to see a video on Youtube.  We had a customer order a bike through us after seeing Danny's Cascadia video.  We frequently get people saying they've seen trials on Youtube which is why they're getting into it.  There's still going to be random trials videos popping up online and that helps get more people involved, so even if there's a drop off in the periphery there's going to be that back catalogue there that keeps it in the spotlight.  Other shit like scooters and 'hoverboards' (that aren't f**king hoverboards) might distract people a bit but there are still routes into trials that people can take.

• Like 2

I very rarely ride now. 

I live a long way from the centre now and the effort and time required to ride is pretty hard to find. I used to drive in and park but now there is parking permit zones everywhere.

Priorities have changed I guess.

The scene in Bristol used to be incredible, and I used to be seriously obsessed by getting out and going to the limits and exploring. 

Now I'm old and when I ride I don't get the same buzz as I can't push it in the same way. I ride past stuff and remember things I've done there and actually can't remember how or even imagine how that would be possible. (Odd)

I still enjoy it, and would ride more (maybe even do some video) if I had time. Maybe the end of this year as the house is nearly all up together.

I check on here every day or so, mainly because I love the bants of the chit-chat old boys...

I rarely go in the other sections because all the videos seem to go through my fb feed as I've got a zillion trials newbs as friends, and I haven't changed my bikes in years so couldn't give two shits about the trials-chat.

• Like 5

Surely this time of year might have something to do with like its literally the middle of January, lack of riding could have a load of reasons like  people are broke from xmas waiting for Januarys pay, its cold, wet and dark its hard to keep motivated in the winter months but I am sure march april time people will start shredding  again.

• Like 2

reading everyones reply here, then @Mark W reply, I think the case is that everyone (including me) in this forum turned into old farts... at least I hope so, as I want to see the trials scene growing

I started when I was 17 and had nothing to do, so hours of practice was easy and reasonable. now I am doing many things at the same time, and the thought of riding 100s of more hours just to start riding properly kinda scares me...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk24 said:

Surely this time of year might have something to do with like its literally the middle of January, lack of riding could have a load of reasons like  people are broke from xmas waiting for Januarys pay, its cold, wet and dark its hard to keep motivated in the winter months but I am sure march april time people will start shredding  again.

Normally this is the busiest time of the year for the forum, all the old members and lurkers come out of the closet as the weather is usually too bad to ride in and with Christmas just been there's usually a mass of parts for sale.

Doesn't seem to have worked like that this year though.