Winter Contingency Street Trials

JJ Leigh

Morning :)

If you have me on facebook you'll know how annoying I am, especially with the amount of spam I've made about this. 

Still. I'm please with how the video turned out :) Honest feedback would be great! I'm not the best in the world at editing either... might look sloppy! 

cheers all :) 

• Like 6

Exactly my thoughts, it's all your old clips recycled into this? I mean come on "new riding video" not much was new, no hate, some cool lines, like how you spin out of 180s, you can tyre tap as well, but it doesn't show off what I think your capable of.

• Like 2

Ok, the only reason people post stuff is for the feedback and replies, it's a fact, to just say "yeah probably" is bullshit it's there on film, it is your other clips remixed into a new edit, I've done it myself, but I've not made out it's new. You just asked for honest feedback, you got it and now your not happy with it?

Let's see the kept back stuff or something all new please.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Ok, the only reason people post stuff is for the feedback and replies, it's a fact, to just say "yeah probably" is bullshit it's there on film, it is your other clips remixed into a new edit, I've done it myself, but I've not made out it's new. You just asked for honest feedback, you got it and now your not happy with it?

Let's see the kept back stuff or something all new please.

It's important to realise why you're getting negative feedback here, before you dismiss it. Protip: It's not simply because people are being f**kknuckles.

It seems people are genuinely looking forward to new content from you, which is a great position to be in. What you've done here is tease those people, and then they've expressed their disappointment that the new content they were looking forward to isn't new at all. You're getting negative replies because you're trying to game people, and people aren't stupid. 

I'm sure you'll just take this as me being negative, and choose to ignore it. That's your choice, but trust me when I say that negative feedback is the feedback you want to be paying the most attention to.

• Like 3

I don't want to cause upset - it's just that if you ask for honest feedback, you have to expect that some of it will be negative.
If you don't want it, you really shouldn't specifically ask for it.

I used to be uneasy about music choice so asked for feedback on it.
People didn't like it, and hearing their replies often upset me; but I wanted to use the music I wanted to use so I stopped asking for feedback and just accepted some people wouldn't like it.

The riding was good, and I'm not exactly Mr Current Affairs so most of it I hadn't seen.
I've no gripe with that, so please don't think I'm teaming up on you with the others (though their point is valid).
It's just that you're setting yourself up for being upset with people, by doing what you're doing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aener said:

I don't want to cause upset - it's just that if you ask for honest feedback, you have to expect that some of it will be negative.
If you don't want it, you really shouldn't specifically ask for it.

I used to be uneasy about music choice so asked for feedback on it.
People didn't like it, and hearing their replies often upset me; but I wanted to use the music I wanted to use so I stopped asking for feedback and just accepted some people wouldn't like it.

The riding was good, and I'm not exactly Mr Current Affairs so most of it I hadn't seen.
I've no gripe with that, so please don't think I'm teaming up on you with the others (though their point is valid).
It's just that you're setting yourself up for being upset with people, by doing what you're doing.

Fair point(s), I'll accept that :) 

Edited by JJ Leigh

It was cool and I am a JJ fan like but the amount of Facebook (to quote you) spam I had expected to see more new stuff. I can handle the old stuff but I'd just go through your channel to watch it. 

All of these videos just make me think of the Portsmouth ride last year and getting pretty excited for it to come around again. 

• Like 5

wow trials forum is on its period again. IMO its good to reedit stuff, so you can practice; a lot of great videos come down to editing as trials is usually pretty repetitive. Keep riding and keep filming mate, if you are enjoying it just do it.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just all a sign to either dial back or change how you're doing the whole 'self promo' thing?  It's pretty clear from this thread that people were expecting something different, and that's what's coloured their opinion of it.  Those expectations were put there by what you've been posting online, so if you get that bit right the rest will follow?  As an example, stuff like this:

index.png

...isn't going to really draw people in much because it's just a photo of a keyboard (did you also do a post before where it was just a grey square to try and promote a video you'd made?).  It doesn't seem like a great reward for people who are looking at/reading your posts if it's just a photo/image of not much with a load of text, especially when that text is implying people will ultimately get to see something new/different.  If you feel you have to post something, why not just post up a single clip or something like that that at least gives people something a bit more, and also gives them an idea of what to expect?

• Like 2

Damn. In that case, Jordan you really should tone down the self promotion, you've exceeded Euan Beaden levels of hashtagging and it's dangerous. You've got some good moves, you can 180 tyre tap better than me, despite also having the wrong foot forward, like me. Just keep improving and let your riding do the talking, name dropping and tagging the biggest names and brands in the sport all comes across as a bit desperate unless you ARE those people or you're closely associated with them. I know Instagram and all that crap is pretty standard these days but there's really no reason to hashtag the words "stoked" or "fun".

Plus that level of suspense and mystery is only something Danny or Ali etc could get away with, then they'd fully back it up and bend our minds.

Ride bike, make video, upload video, keep it simple. All the endless mediateasing and suspense does is build up expectations. It's much more impressive when a great vid comes out of nowhere, like Andrew Dickey's stuff.

Don't take it the wrong way, I am a miserable old cvnt, and you're half my age and all excited about trials, and that's great. I'm just saying what a lot of people are thinking, nothing wrong with the riding at all, and that's what counts. Just let it find its own way out there instead of forcing it.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 10