Live Display For Cycle Shop.

BJ.

I've been working at the local cycle store for a few months and have been given a task to help sell accessories with bikes. 
I've been racking my brains on ways to showcase a few necessities. 
So far I've made a display showing how tube sealant works, the customer can literally push a pin into the display, spin the wheel and be amazed by how quickly it seals, it looks great and works well and has boosted sales so I would like to do something similar but can't think of anything.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2016 at 5:56 PM, CurtisRider said:

Any particular accessories you are trying to shift? Or is it literally getting people to buy anything? How much room do you have to make use of?

We have copious amounts of space. My intentions are to get people to get there bikes serviced and show why its important to do so. 
Our customer base is the family/leisure cyclists, as well as a few commuters who just ride the bike until it dies it's death and then spend another £89 on a new bike. 
Its very rare that we get an enthusiast and when we do, they already know what the want before they enter the store. 

Our typical customer: "My bike makes noises when I change gear, the bike is 5 years old and has never done this before." 
Staff: "When where the chain and cassettes last changed?"
Customer: "What are they? its not had anything done to it so I don't know why it's started making noises."

From the above insight to our customers you can tell they aren't the brightest bunch. 

On 05/02/2016 at 8:47 PM, N.Wood said:

My old LBS (Evolution Imports) had a King hub on a display with a cut out in the shell so you could see what was going on in where when you spun the freehub.

That was cool.

We're not really a major cycle store so we don't really stock any top end parts, it is a great idea, i've seen a similar thing done with hope brakes but again we only really do the basic shimano/ avid stuff.

Well there's one answer right there- two gear setups; one with the shittiest, grimiest, stiff linkyest, poorly indexed wornout crap and one nice (worn-in but not brand new) set up with well oiled and set up components each running with a single crank and a handle rather than a pedal so people can come up hand have a play with each, change the gears and realise the difference it makes.

• Like 3