Gym for trials

Brian Bleech

I am currently bikeless for a couple of months, so rather than sitting on my arse, thought I may as well take advantage of the onsite gym and keep myself fit so I am ready to go once I get back riding. I have been using the running machines a bit (they are so boring), but if anyone could point me in the direction on some good exercises to do that would be great.

The gym itself is pretty basic and old (they are getting new equipment two weeks ago :P) but everything works as far as I can tellIMG_20160125_142300025.thumb.jpg.1fa9bd7IMG_20160125_142307080.thumb.jpg.7d86142 

Your main muscle groups for trials in terms of power, are hamstrings, glutes and quads, so any sort of

• squatting
  • deadlifting or
  • lunging exercise is good.

In terms of upper body its lats and abs. So:

• situps and
  • crunches and then
  • pullups and
  • rows.

The gym is basic but you can get something done in there. Im hoping that cable machine has a pull up bar on the top.

• Like 1

I'd say rather than work your body to help trials, work your body to help you FROM trials.

Once we get specific to one sport our bodys also become specific, most riders will have a natural "hunched" form from years and years of being in a certain position, our joints and muscles will only work up to a limit put on us by our bikes. Unless you're wanting specific goals I'd say work on your mobility, look at people like Ido Portal or Hunter Cook. You don't need specific machines, just floor space and a few weights/poles/whatever. This way you'll keep your body fresh and mobile which allows you to continue riding for longer.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I'd say rather than work your body to help trials, work your body to help you FROM trials.

Once we get specific to one sport our bodys also become specific, most riders will have a natural "hunched" form from years and years of being in a certain position, our joints and muscles will only work up to a limit put on us by our bikes. Unless you're wanting specific goals I'd say work on your mobility, look at people like Ido Portal or Hunter Cook. You don't need specific machines, just floor space and a few weights/poles/whatever. This way you'll keep your body fresh and mobile which allows you to continue riding for longer.

That is pretty much what I want, just to keep mobile. I am definitely not as mobile as I was in my younger days! I will check those out. Cheers.

55 minutes ago, ooo said:

Your main muscle groups for trials in terms of power, are hamstrings, glutes and quads, so any sort of

• squatting
  • deadlifting or
  • lunging exercise is good.

In terms of upper body its lats and abs. So:

• situps and
  • crunches and then
  • pullups and
  • rows.

The gym is basic but you can get something done in there. Im hoping that cable machine has a pull up bar on the top.

It does have a pull up bar. Been using it a little, as well as doing a some sit ups and press ups.

51 minutes ago, Mark W said:

If you start posting inspirational gym meme photos on Facebook we're going to have to stage some form of intervention.

Don't worry I stick to pictures of Danny Trejo, random horror movie stuff and old MTB videos. :)

• Like 2

I don't really know of any good online resources, but I'm sure there's some great stuff on YouTube. I'll have a look next time I can, but essentially it's all about springing about like trials is. 

Intersperse it with plenty of other movement as Ali was mentioning and I'm sure it'll help overall. 

If I had a few months to train for trials I'd be doing largely a combination of stretching and plyometrics (static box jumps etc). In a few months you could really improve your flexibility if you're training every day. Plus, I bet you can't find a top 5 world class rider who can't suck his own :giggle:

I'd definitely factor in upper back and lats, as when I stopped riding these were the areas I saw most muscle deterioration as I simply wasn't using them anymore. 

yeah i'd second @Ali C on the ido portal stuff, anything on primal movements is good. and also if you have any shoulder issues its worth looking at YLTW's on you tube to strengthen your rotator cuff and rhomboids. As well as exeercises for a muscle called serratus anterior.

On 01/02/2016 at 9:35 PM, peter_t said:

Is yoga good for trials?

I tried it once and felt good for it, plus you are in a room full of women in very tight clothes :)

You know you don't have to wear tight clothes, you might find looser ones more 'accommodating' ;)

I think yoga focusses on core strength, but wouldn't really provide enough resistance for you to build up a noticeable amount of strength in such a short period of time. 

Ryan Leech is a big advocate of it however. https://www.ryanleech.com/certified-yoga-instructor/

RyanLeech-DancersPose-Photo-David-Niddri

Edited by isitafox
Pic added as you can't mention Leech and yoga without this!

18 minutes ago, TrialsIsHard said:

I think yoga focusses on core strength, but wouldn't really provide enough resistance for you to build up a noticeable amount of strength in such a short period of time. 

I was thinking less for strength and more for flexibility. I think i sometimes struggle to tuck with my legs in trials and i did notice that my legs felt tight. I think this could be down to lots of hours in the saddle mountain biking.

• 2 weeks later...

Yoga  and stretches will certainly make a noticeable difference.

I have started doing little bits of yoga as suggested by my physio to help with lower back pain and stiffness, it has really helped with my back pain and, more importantly, has helped with my riding.

I think a combination of some yoga like exercises mixed with of the more resistance training stuff will help to maintain your fitness. 

Yoga works everything...not just core. Strengthen your whole body, and makes you very flexible.  I've never ridden as well as I did when I was doing 5 days a week @ 1.5 hours of yoga...everything on the bike was easier- any pains go away, everything is just smooth.

For such a short period of time, just keep your fitness up so you don't go back to the bike like a chubby kid. 

Enjoying looking at that ido portal stuff...

• Like 1

On 2/11/2016 at 5:09 PM, AndyT said:

Yoga works everything...not just core. Strengthen your whole body, and makes you very flexible.  I've never ridden as well as I did when I was doing 5 days a week @ 1.5 hours of yoga...everything on the bike was easier- any pains go away, everything is just smooth.

For such a short period of time, just keep your fitness up so you don't go back to the bike like a chubby kid. 

Enjoying looking at that ido portal stuff...

Yeah I have been doing some yoga, mixed with a bit of general gym stuff and plying football. Should keep me from becoming a chubby kid, hard work with all these texas steaks.

• Like 1

I've just got back from the gym, I did a range from basic stretches to some shoulder movement and deep bodyweight squatting drills and then went on to front squats (working lighter weights with good form rather than just racking the bar up) and then I did some active and passive hanging with some proper form pull ups and some front levers (work in progress). Then some plyometric box jumps, some planks and some final stretching. Felt great!

2 hours ago, Ali C said:

I've just got back from the gym, I did a range from basic stretches to some shoulder movement and deep bodyweight squatting drills and then went on to front squats (working lighter weights with good form rather than just racking the bar up) and then I did some active and passive hanging with some proper form pull ups and some front levers (work in progress). Then some plyometric box jumps, some planks and some final stretching. Felt great!

Sounds like a good overall workout. I hate front squats even though they are more beneficial than the "normal" ones. I wouldn't do plyometrics and squats in the same workout though. What I usually do is put on some weight doing heavy loads with little repetitions for 6-8 weeks and then 4-6 weeks plyometrics. 

52 minutes ago, Ali C said:

is that a personal thing or a general rule for best results?

I'd say a general rule but for every goal there are at least 10 theories. For max hops you need muscles though, so weight training with big weights is very important. 

What you don't want is stagnation so you want to alternate your workout every other month or so. 

Edited by niconj

5 minutes ago, niconj said:

so weight training with big weights is very important. 

True, but you don't want to just go to big weights and not have good form. I've seen some trials riders on Instagram show their lifts and their knees are moving side to side, not ideal. They do seem keen on crossfit though which I don't agree with.

My front squats are right down to 45kg but working on getting the technique as dialled as possible and going into as deep a squat as I can.....I'd like to build up the weight once I feel I've got everything perfect.