British Trials Cup - Round 1 - Seymours Arena, Oxfordshire

Plans are well on their way now for the 1st round of the British Trials Cup 2016 at Seymours Arena, Oxfordshire on Sunday 10th April. Check out the poster and ...feel free to advertise the event, let's get as many riders and spectators there as possible. It's a man-made 'natural' venue with some great sections for all levels. Entry form coming soon on www.biketrialuk.co.uk

Poster - 2016 Rnd 1 - Seymours Arena-sm.jpg

DSC03217.JPG

DSC03218.JPG

DSC03212.JPG

DSC03232.JPG

Really? They let the best chance of advertising Trials to the people who may be interested in it the most go because of "relatively low attendances"? Go figure eh.

While I'm here, I read somewhere that part of the £20 fee for riding a trial goes towards funding trips around the world for the little kiddies. Is that true?

How many people who go to the Fort William World Cup do you think have never heard of trials before?

By that I mean that you're essentially preaching to the converted in the sense that you're "advertising" trials to people who already have a preconceived idea of what trials is.  If you're getting no help (or are being hindered) from the people running the overall setup there, that doesn't help you put on a great event that's likely to sway any of those people.  If you're also operating at a loss (which Fort William did last year) then it doesn't make much sense to continue doing it.

I think I edited that just as you replied, so my answer is kind of couched in there.  But no, I don't necessarily think that's the case.  Through TartyBikes, we've had more people get in touch to get hold of a bike after going to an event like the Street Light Session or from doing a 'Give it a go' type thing elsewhere than we've ever had from something related to Fort William.

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Really? They let the best chance of advertising Trials to the people who may be interested in it the most go because of "relatively low attendances"? Go figure eh.

While I'm here, I read somewhere that part of the £20 fee for riding a trial goes towards funding trips around the world for the little kiddies. Is that true?

None of the entry fee goes to the kids riding the worlds. All self funded

• Like 1

As the only on site  organiser of Fort William, I run two British events in Scotland that are completely different. One I get no help at and took me ten full  days to organise in 2014 and a few weekends last year before I hurt my back and could not attend.  I also have a lot of unseen work with the organisers that I will not go into here. The fact that we as the trials seemed to be the main entertainment last year for the paying fans as the weather curtailed everything else and didn't even get a thank you. Please if you want to organise it then I will only be to happy to pass over the massive list of things requiring to be done pre event. And the lack of entries also makes it a loss making event. And no, nobody gets any money from the BTF to fund foreign events. British cycling do not fund one penny to any trials riders competing in the world champs but if you ride anything else then welcome in. Most arrogant, bad mannered people I have ever had the misfortune to come across. and that include some of the riders.

The other one I have a weekend pre event to move some stuff around if there is a machine on site (for free) and have a lot of help to set up and design new sections a couple of days before.

Looking at some interesting new venues for Scottish/British round next year.

Entry forms for this first round of the British Cup at Seymours Arena, Oxfordshire on Sunday 10th April are now available from the Website www.biketrialuk.co.uk - you can print the form and send it with a cheque, or you can enter on-line and pay through the PayPal system. Either way ... do it now so you don't miss the deadline!

Don't forget, spectators are FREE, so if you don't feel up to entering a competition, just come along to watch.

There are some new classes added to the rules, including a 50/50 Red/Yellow route for the big lads, and a new White route for the older beginners. Also, many of you will be pleased to see some changes to the section-markers ... you can now ride through another colour, as long as you don't miss any of your own!

The full amended rules will be updated onto the website in plenty of time before the first round so do keep watching the site for more information.

DSC03213.JPG

On 07/03/2016 at 9:25 PM, kevind said:

And no, nobody gets any money from the BTF to fund foreign events. British cycling do not fund one penny to any trials riders competing in the world champs but if you ride anything else then welcome in. Most arrogant, bad mannered people I have ever had the misfortune to come across. and that include some of the riders. 

Testify brother! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
An excellent report on the first round of the British last week, thanks to Graham Tickner ... don't miss out on the next round at Bob Macgregors, only a few days to go!

British National Cycle Trials Cup.2016
Round 1 - Seymours Arena, Oxfordshire 10th April

British National Cycle Trials – Round 1 commenced at Seymours Arena, Oxfordshire which hosts the famous North Berks Bonanza.
The 8 sections were marked out and taped the day before but persistent rain / wind overnight caused markers to be dislodged and numbers on gates disappeared, but by the start time all was in order as the sun came out and stayed out for the whole of the event. The wind however was still around and made some riders drop a 5 when they were on the high rocks. Two minutes were allowed to clear a section which did cause a little heartache, but as riders settled in their time came down.
Section 1 – With a start gate on the hillside then to drop down into the gulley of rocks and make their way upwards, speed was essential for the Expert and upwards. This then led on to a water jump and the only way to do this was from a small ledge, and turning on the back wheel and just to go for it, too long thinking about it and you would be out of time. In the Expert senior group Ryan Crisp (B1K3) and Will Ackerley (Crewkerz) who has recently moved up to this class were neck and neck on 7 points after the first lap. A single dab on lap 2 when Will had previously cleaned this section, followed by a 5 on the windy section 2 meant he finished 1 point adrift from Ryan Crisp coached by Darryl Smith. Andrew Chai (GU) rode well taking the bronze medal, and Tom Astbury (Bionic) missing the podium but a good 2nd lap by him. Adam Birchmoore (Monty 221pr) in the novice senior group was happy taking his first win in the British Nationals after a second lap of just 9. There were four riders very close in his group after their first lap, Carl Weightman (Neon) held the second place holding off Joe Gatrill (Zoo) who continues to get better the more he rides.
The primary senior group which is a new class that was introduced this year to encourage new riders to the sport saw 10 year old Samuel Meeton (Monty) having a second lap of just 1 mark lost on section 6, a Gold for him. Oscar Jones (Onza) took the silver and Jake Green 3rd place, both 17 marks lost on their last lap. Local rider Nate Robinson just 2 marks off the podium, and Elliott Cooper (Hashtag) another 3 adrift. Nine year old Bailey Dacker (Onnit) took the primary class win with 10 marks lost on the day.
Elite class, which had a good entry had Andrei Burton (Echo) top of the podium on just 9 marks lost, 5 marks were lost on section 7. Dave Kerr (Crewkerz) was runner up, with Sam Oliver taking the bronze medal.

Section 9, which took place just before the medal presentation, was a speed obstacle race against the clock, with 2 routes just for fun though with a few fallers but all with smiles and egging each other on. Eventual winner on section 9 the hard route was Charlie Rolls with a time of 25.76 seconds. The easier route was won by Joe Gatrill timed at 13.20.

Many thanks to North Berks MCC and all concerned in staging this event Especially Stuart Robinson. Thank you to main sponsors Tarty Bikes and Trial Tech. The awards were presented by Biketrial Federation Chairman, George Eyre and Administrator Barbara Wright.

A brilliant day with plenty of good feedback. Round 2 of the 5 rounds will be staged at Bob McGregor Trials Park, near Glasgow on 1st May 2016.

Full Results can be viewed on Bike Trial Federation Web site
www.biketrialuk.co.uk.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:27 AM, dogman said:

Special test section being put on ?? 

Yeh, was good fun!

"Section 9, which took place just before the medal presentation, was a speed obstacle race against the clock, with 2 routes just for fun though with a few fallers but all with smiles and egging each other on. Eventual winner on section 9 the hard route was Charlie Rolls with a time of 25.76 seconds. The easier route was won by Joe Gatrill timed at 13.20"