Which Disc Brake and Stem?

Brian Bleech

Getting back on the bike in a few weeks (It has been in storage while moving around for a few months) and thinking of making a couple of changes to mix things up a bit.

IMG_20151209_173802.jpg

First thing I am thinking of changing the stem, currently running a one23 70mm x 35 stem. I think I want something a bit steeper to get rid of some of those stackers and maybe a little longer, I don't think I want any less reach. I just can't find anything? Anyone help?

Want to put a rear disc on my arcade? I have no idea what is good. I am tempted by the Avid mechanical as they look simple to use, but look very fragile. 

I would be happy with a vee brake if I had mounts. :P

The 80x45 stem you can get from Rosebikes means you can drop 15mm of stackers and keep your bars almost exactly where they are if you wanted to.  Obviously you can leave some of those stackers in for some sweet new bar height ;)

The BB5s and BB7s are pretty decent to be fair.  I think I do prefer the lever feel of a hydraulic brake, but if you just want to keep it cheap the Avid's not a bad shout (Y) Aside from that, keeping an eye out for some second hand MT5s, M810s or something along those lines might not be a bad idea.  If you're unsure how much you want to commit to rear disc a brand new setup is going to cost you a fair chunk, so if you can catch a second hand setup from someone it might be a bit better.  You can always bang some upgrade pads (the Trialtech and Jitsie ones are the way to go) and some new rotors on there.

• Like 1

i'm a big fan of bb7s, throughly rate these levers with them too. bb5s are also perfectly fine. the calipers are both tough enough for a thorough loving too, i managed to snap the adapter for the bb7 the other day but it cracked around the bolts and held together long enough for me to realise and stop. can't fault it for nearly a year under my fat ass

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

The 80x45 stem you can get from Rosebikes means you can drop 15mm of stackers and keep your bars almost exactly where they are if you wanted to.  Obviously you can leave some of those stackers in for some sweet new bar height ;)

The BB5s and BB7s are pretty decent to be fair.  I think I do prefer the lever feel of a hydraulic brake, but if you just want to keep it cheap the Avid's not a bad shout (Y) Aside from that, keeping an eye out for some second hand MT5s, M810s or something along those lines might not be a bad idea.  If you're unsure how much you want to commit to rear disc a brand new setup is going to cost you a fair chunk, so if you can catch a second hand setup from someone it might be a bit better.  You can always bang some upgrade pads (the Trialtech and Jitsie ones are the way to go) and some new rotors on there.

2 hours ago, ogre said:

i'm a big fan of bb7s, throughly rate these levers with them too. bb5s are also perfectly fine. the calipers are both tough enough for a thorough loving too, i managed to snap the adapter for the bb7 the other day but it cracked around the bolts and held together long enough for me to realise and stop. can't fault it for nearly a year under my fat ass

That stem looks great, it looks like a good choice to play around with bar height too. 

Yeah the cost of a brand new disc set up is a lot, so going 2nd hand looks good. I am not even sure I want to commit to a rear brake...

...so been offered a BB5 for a good price (thanks ogre ;) ) so think that is what I am going to go for.

I ran the older version of those levers with my vee. They are great :)

What size rotor should I get? 180

And pads? Standardones, I really have no clue. Never had a disc before 

2 hours ago, adamant said:

Scottdog has a 40 X 110 stem if that helps mate?

A bit too long :) Cheers.

8 hours ago, Brian Bleech said:

..so been offered a BB5 for a good price (thanks ogre ;) ) so think that is what I am going to go for.

I ran the older version of those levers with my vee. They are great :)

What size rotor should I get? 180

And pads? Standardones, I really have no clue. Never had a disc before 

no worries dear, 180 should be plenty; the frame is +20 so it's designed for a reasonably big rotor. the standard pads should actually be alright for you; the trialtech or jitsie pads will give you more bite and power but they'll wash out if you hit them with alot of speed. do you need a rotor too? i might be able to find you one :) 

Those Deore rotors seem to have some weird 'Organic/Resin pad only' biz on them, and the ones Ben was using in Lisbon didn't seem all that.  I'd probably spend the little bit extra and go for the SLX rotors - they seem to be really good and are a bit more proven from what I've seen.

• Like 1

The rotors aren't that bad, but I will probably be going back to XT rotors again after these Deore ones.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-xt-rt76-6-bolt-disc-rotor/rp-prod39007

or having a quick gander, I might go try these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-slx-zee-deore-rt66-6-bolt-disc-rotor/rp-prod82436