Workshop build and layout advice

CurtisRider

I am looking to move back to Suffolk and therefore my main priority is getting my workshop functional again as it hasn't been used properly in about 6 years and I love building stuff.

I'm going to refurbish my current workshop but also extend into the rest of the building as it offers me more space for minimal outlay and also there is a septic tank nearby so I can fit a toilet/shower/kitchen area if I want.

Currently the workshop looks like this:

2016-03-30%2018.12.26_zpsjqmutqph.jpg

2016-03-30%2018.12.55_zpswaaxciwy.jpg

and the space i'm extending into is like this:

2016-03-30%2018.11.07_zpstib9r0ae.jpg

2016-03-30%2018.10.43_zpsf4kdajce.jpg

As you can see, a total tip, no proper storage solutions, poor lighting and no wall/floor coatings to reflect the light. There is potential there though and it's rent free so that's a winner! The plan is to fit out the extension, then move everything out of the old workshop and refit that before deciding on the overall layout. I hope 5k will cover getting a basic shell ready, inc paint and electric. I need to find somewhere to chuck the camper, tractor and truck whilst I do all this! I am going to move the support beams towards the middle to allow for the ramps to be fitted and make use of the full height of the place, this will require some engineering to ensure it's strong enough. I am going to have racking along the tall wall, going up quite a height so I can store plenty of stuff, there is also the option of using another building for storage but it isn't secure.

Excited is an understatement  :grin:

I want to have more natural light so fitting windows will be essential but i'm worried about security, currently I have steel bars across the plastic sheeting so I guess I will need to do the same again? 

Security is obviously going to be one of my main concerns, apart from decent locks and the steel bars mentioned, what else would you guys recommend? Would a household alarm system be ok?

I want better lighting, currently its quite dim but I think that's partly down to the lack of reflection from dark walls and floor, is there a way of calculating how many light fittings I would need for acceptable light output?

Fire safety is another concern, as i'm keeping the dividing wall in place (to kind of separate the metal and wood working areas) should I just add an extra external doorway in and that will be enough?

Lastly heating, I'm thinking a wood burner would be best as we have a good flow of wood offcuts. Has anybody on here tried building there own? I don't mind buying but I far prefer making!

Cheers in advance!

Oh and I'll insulate the ceiling with Cellotex, but that's far too much money for me at this point :( The walls I can insulate easily as I have loads of bits to use recycled from other buildings but they aren't suitable for the ceiling.

Edited by CurtisRider
  • Like 3

It looks like an awful lot of work to take on at once.  Firstly a good cleanup as you say.  After that id stick to a single bay/area at a time.  Get the walls/floor painted then work out how much extra lighting you need.

Do you really need to 'do up' the entire space? Would focusing on the work heavy areas be more beneficial?

Is it a farm building by any chance?

Blimey!

For lighting I would use as many skylights as you can, nothing beats natural light.  Possibly consider drinks bottle skylights?  Cheap and effective although if your roof is asbestos then it's a no go.

Agree with Danny, work on one area at a time, I would clear out the outer unit first, make the doors good and neatly stack everything in there (presuming that it will be stuff that isn't instantly required) so that you can clear and work around the inner unit.

Have you considered environmentally friendly options like cob for walls/insulation?

Good luck, I struggle to keep my 8'x10' shed organised!

Yes its one of our farm buildings, hence why I want to maintain it too as it would be a shame to let it fall apart. The plan is to work on the section that hasn't been made into workshop space first as that needs attention and is the access to the current workspace. I need to move the supports as they make access really difficult currently, getting a car in there is a proper pain, George knows what it is like! Obviously sorting that includes clearing it, levelling the floor (currently the centre is lower as that was where the tractor would scrape the muck from the pigs) and putting in walls. 

I really do need the space, I'm just doing a Sketchup drawing of the building and the current tooling I have, it fills up very quickly

The roof is corrugated plastic, so I could install clear sections. I have done a quick layout of the place, this is most of the significant equipment I already have (there is more though but I can't find pre made designs of them+I have double of some things like lathes and saws) apart from the ramps and rotisserie. I've tried to keep work areas near to light sources and the taller areas for racking/ramps. The racking is all necessary, I have LOTS of wood and metal stock that i want to keep safe. You can start to see why having the extra space is necessary, especially when you consider the camper will be a long term project that lives in there and I need to be able to get tractors in the first few bays for maintenance.

Excuse all the extra lines, some of the things I imported have random bits on them!

Workshop%20layout%20_zpsbyrtlrxa.jpg[/IMG]

Workshop%20extended%204_zpsniztcjlv.jpg

Workshop%20extended%203_zpsnmngcwow.jpg

URL]

The room inside will stay as a clean room/office/home for the 3D printer with storage space above. The outside room near the entrance will be the kitchen/toilet/shower.

I also have dust extraction to think about, I have 8 fans and filter units, so I just need to figure out ducting routes and then somewhere for the big ass hoover thingies I have to live. 

Edited by CurtisRider

On 3/31/2016 at 9:45 AM, CurtisRider said:

The plan is to work on the section that hasn't been made into workshop space first as that needs attention and is the access to the current workspace. I need to move the supports as they make access really difficult currently, getting a car in there is a proper pain, George knows what it is like! Obviously sorting that includes clearing it, levelling the floor (currently the centre is lower as that was where the tractor would scrape the muck from the pigs) and putting in walls. 

Sounds like you pretty much answered your own question.  Get access sorted first :) no point having an awesome workshop you can't actually get in.

Whats the time frame for this? When you getting cracking?

Well I finish teaching the end of July so I'll start properly then however I am going to head back whichever weekends I can before then to clear up the crap and start assembling the stud work, fortunately we have recycled lots of 2x5 timber which is perfect for my needs! I think I can have a basic carcass there within a few weekends, then I can get painting and stuff until I can get the floor sorted. I have the summer to get it done (that is how long i'm paid by school for), so that is about 6 weeks although a week of that will be spent doing harvest. After that i'm off travelling for a short while... but at least when I return I can get cracking on making shizzle.

Lighting wise I can't decide whether to stick with fluorescent or to go LED as there are many pros and cons with both. I'll be having a meter fitted so I can pay dad back fairly for the electricity I use so I want to try and keep costs down where possible as obviously it'll be a huge place to keep lit. I'll have several lighting circuits so that I choose which areas to illuminate to keep costs down.

It'll be a shit load of work, but worth it in the end!

As you said, access, and a level floor are the main priorities. Its such a dick to get in and out of...get that sorted and you're halfway there.

Natural light is good, but you have to then accept that every window/skylight is then a potential security flaw. LED lighting is good, but you get lots of shadows from it because of the light. 

Biggest issue electrical wise will be the loading if you are planning to use lots of power hungry tools (ramp, welder, lathe etc). Obviously I am happy to pop over and have a look though (from memory there is just a domestic single phase board in there?)

Concentrate on making the area as open as you can with RSJ's etc to maximise the floor space, and flat so its all one level so you can maneuver about as you wish.

I  agree with changing the use of the "back room" to a tool/office area. It is too compromised access wise as it is. The ramp in and out is a nightmare, and the opening is too small to comfortably get a decent sized vehicle in.

Hook me up when you're home and I'll pop over and have a look/beer.

Yes poor access has always ruined what is otherwise a good space! It'll have a far wider and taller entrance this time round, the current one wasn't my doing.

So do you think i'm better off sticking with fluorescent? I am going to add lighting on the walls where the cars go to help prevent shadows and possibly put in LED strips in the floor too as it makes my life easier not having cables and lights everywhere!

Supply wise, I'll be replacing the current board as it is just what was left there and I don't think you can buy replacement RCDs for it. I am only going to have single phase but will have several 16A sockets along with regular 13A. Currently my welders and compressor are the only tools that need 16A sockets, the rest are happy to run off 13A as they don't have particularly large motors. Apart from dust extraction there won't be more than one tool on at a time, so I would have thought a similar setup to what I have now should be sufficient? I was going to have the dust extraction on a seperate breaker as it will probably be a little hungry.

I'm back next week to help Rick with the barn (tues/wed or wed/thur) if you are able to swing by?

I would personally. Fit as many as you possibly can. High level for general light, then on the walls for light at a usable height.

Fitting a new board is probably a good shout. Some of the welding sockets and heavy motors may need a C or D type breaker, which if you have a random board make, may be difficult to source.

Sounds like its going to be fairly "domestic" in the sense of its use, so probably wouldn't worry too much about a 3 phase board etc, just extra added cost.

Should be able to swing by at some point, yeah.

Yeah wall lighting makes total sense, I'm going to hammer through some quids fitting so many though! I guess I'm better off with more frequent short units than less frequent long units?

Last time we looked into having 3 phase it was something like 20k and that was over 20 years ago, we do have a 2 phase set up in the barn but who even uses that any more? Any three phase stuff that i've bought has been converted to single anyway. Fortunately 3 phase stuff is cheaper and usually a motor and switch swap is all they need so I've hoarded many motors of varying HP for that very reason!