Chainstay Question - Thread Change

bike_dummie

Hi, 

Currently in the process of building a trials frame for work, but I know nothing about heat treating or what the numbers mean in reality. 

I will be sending the frame to be normalised but will it need to be tempered too? 

Thanks, Adam. :)

Edited by bike_dummie

As far as I'm aware, normalising afterwards is all that is required, just need to restructure the steel in the haz.

Someone with more experience might advise further, I would speak to @aener as he's built his own frames :)

Edited by forteh

There's no one way of doing the 'right' heat treatment, which a lot of BMX companies found out the hard way when making regular and 'HT' versions of your frames became a thing.  The companies who'd spent a long, long time researching it did well (e.g. Odyssey/Sunday), while a lot of others who just rushed it didn't and ended up with heat treated frames that broke way faster than non-treated frames.

I realise that's not really any help, but just wanted to say it's not that clear cut...

Of course once normalised you can then temper the steel, as mark said the temper you use is dependent on the application.

Or use a steel and/or manufacturing method that doesn't require further heat treatment, case in point standard and the ox platinum air hardening tubes:)

If you're looking into furthering your heat treatment knowledge it might be worth dropping George French @ gsport a mail and see if he can offer any advice; I know he used t45 for his frames as it's stronger than 4130 but I suspect he would still be familiar with frame heat treatment in general.

edit: upon further research it would appear that t45 doesn't require post fabrication heat treatment. I guess it would be a fair bit more expensive mind.

Edited by forteh

• Danny locked and unlocked this topic
19 hours ago, forteh said:

As far as I'm aware, normalising afterwards is all that is required, just need to restructure the steel in the haz.

Someone with more experience might advise further, I would speak to @aener as he's built his own frames :)

You honour me by assuming I'm so knowledgeable on the matter, but I actually just used plain-gauge mild steel tubes in whichever sizes were the cheapest. They weren't even seamless :lol:
I just welded it all together and rode it - no heat treating. Maybe I got lucky and mild steel doesn't need treating or something like that, but I don't know anything about this type of stuff.

That said, both of them lasted me nine months each, and the latter one is still in use (after having a few cracks welded over). 

• Like 1

Neither are incorrect but both are incomplete, the 455 needs an angular dimension added and the 449.9 needs a vertical dimension added as a bare minimum.

Depending on the frame jig, I would personally prefer to keep the dimensions purely in the x and y axis.

In reality the 455 is easier to fabricate to but the angle could be hard to achieve, the 449.9 is more than likely outside of your fabricating tolerance so could be rounded to 450 and the 455 made a reference dimension.

Remember that all vertices need to have both an x and y component (z if you're working in three dimensions) and all dimensions should come from a common datum, in the case off a frame the bottom bracket is ideal.

Edited by forteh

Sorry I think I may have asked my question in the wrong way. The photo is not mine either but I am getting roughly half an inch difference between the two methods. 

To measure the chainstay length do I measure purely the X axis 350mm and then up 80mm in the Y axis. And that would give me -  350mm chainstay length with a bottom bracket rise of 80 mm.  Like 449.9mm. 

Or 

Positive 80 mm bottom bracket with the most direct route (diagonally) down to the dropouts. Same path the connecting tube would take. Example 455mm.

Edited by bike_dummie

Chainstay length is measured directly between the bottom bracket and the rear axle, when designing the jig you will want to keep things as square and true as possible and hang the frame around it.

Lay it out on cad and you can very quickly see where you need to be putting stuff. I can knock together a quick model for you if you want clarification :)