Ali C Vlog

Dman

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Worth the BUMP as Ali's behind the scenes to his latest video just absolutely sh*t on 99% of the proper edits I've seen in street trials this year. 

Seriously good work on the latest edit @Ali C @Mark W. Looking forward to the Malaga edit! 

Edited by Paperclip
Trials forum doesn't sensor the word shit, so I did but I'm not doing alllllll the work so I didn't do it just now. Not sorry.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of his best videos so far. Really enjoyed this, loved seeing the inner workings of TartyBikes, loved the trials nostalgia chat.

Got the urge to work on my bike right now for spring.... and dig out my fortune of original zoo pads.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The most obvious assumption is that anyone's YT channel with Patreon is at risk of being hacked. 

Question for YouTube is do they try and keep a lid on things for now and avoid public knowledge to potentially avoid hundreds of channels with Patreon to be temporarily shutdown, or do they openly admit to media outlets that they have an issue?

No seen or heard anything on the news about this...

4 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

The most obvious assumption is that anyone's YT channel with Patreon is at risk of being hacked. 

How's the account security compromised by having a Patreon? Asking for a friend.

I can confirm this had nothing to do with Patreon.

It was a targeted spear attack by people posing as a video editing company asking me for paid promotion in a video. After a couple of emails they asked to talk further on WhatsApp (which isn't that unusual, I had the same from some of my other sponsors) so I gave them my phone number to add me.

After some chatting on WhatsApp and agreeing a price they explained the process to me and provided a link to their site with a download for the app. The site had a padlock in the URL so I thought it was safe.

Clicking the download instead downloaded a cookie sharing virus which could gain access to cookies saved by websites including saved log ins such as my YouTube one. I assume they then used my phone number to get access to the password reset code and reset my password locking me out. I'm now talking with google trying to get it back but I think they blocked my device in the process so I can't even begin the recovery process just yet.

I've been told it can be recovered and they've shut the channel down to remove control the hackers had, unfortunately this has lost me over 20,000 subs so far which is frustrating as I was just a few hundred away from 100K.

Looking back there were some red flags I failed to see...the first email was basic to say the least and I even shared it with Mark as it was quite random. I took the bait though as I have had emails from Asian brands who have sent questionable emails in the past but have been legit.

The other red flags were bad English spelling for what was an American company, I assumed it was an agency working on their behalf and again just assumed they were Asian and just miss pelt some stuff. They also wouldn't reply with direct answers to my questions and just had copy/paste replies but again not unheard of when dealing with an agency (even Google now are giving me some copy/pate responses). Lastly they let me set my price and they didn't even flinch when I asked for more than I thought I'd get, normally they have a set price and only have a small wiggle room.

At the end of the day I'm a bit embarrassed I fell for it, the good thing is the virus doesn't multiply so it didn't spread from my machine (and I've now removed it) and I don't believe this type of virus gives them access to any sensitive information like card details so I'm hoping no money was taken (I've cancelled my business card anyway as I used that to buy my new anti virus software so had to enter the card details before I knew what the virus was).

It's frustrating losing that many followers especially being that close to 100K but I've had messages from people saying they un-subbed temporarily and will re-sub when it's fixed so I'm hoping the damage isn't as bad as it looks but we'll have to see...I don't want to get my hopes up too much.  

The fact that they got control of your account so easily is absolutely shocking, for a company like Google. Did you have 2FA turned on for your account?

Edit: I don’t believe that a company like Google, would save unsecured passwords in cookies. Are you sure that you weren’t a victim of a phishing attack earlier on? And then maybe they needed more info and contacted you after they already knew your password?

Edited by Mikee

UPDATE:

Channel is recovered! I still have all my videos and surprisingly most of my subscribers too!

I'm just waiting for Google/YouTube to finish their checks and then I can make all my videos public again and continue as normal...I'm hoping it will be ready for today's upload but it's out of my hands for now.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Ali C said:

UPDATE:

Channel is recovered! I still have all my videos and surprisingly most of my subscribers too!

I'm just waiting for Google/YouTube to finish their checks and then I can make all my videos public again and continue as normal...I'm hoping it will be ready for today's upload but it's out of my hands for now.

I imagine that youtube password of yours is going to be infinitely longer and more complex, and your cynicism of help offerings heightened.

Glad you got the channel back dude.