Video editing - Need alternatives to Movie Maker

CC12345678910

Before I even contemplate putting this video together, I'm in need of an alternative to WMM. From last time I've upgraded my camera, my computer setup and become the most competant with computers n stuff that I have ever been, and now i want a better finished product from my videos to show for it - instead of being 'the best I could do at the time', I want 'the best that I could do' and to be proud of the result - If that makes sense.

The editor must be free to use, I'm only doing vids for my own personal enjoyment after all & preferably open source. It also doesn't need to be a full version with every last bell and whistle, so long as it's a good freeware full of good features and all the features that are there work straight away, and work forever.

I want something way more pro than movie maker, but definately non of that rubbish where after downloading you find that to access features beyond previewing your unedited files you can "upgrade to PRO for just $29.95!" - That sh1t can go fck itself.

I also previously downloaded an editor that was part of a complete suite of open source software, from file converters to sound editors, and it was a package deal that stealthily put a sh*t ton of folders in the start menu which were all links to the makers website. It was effectively a virus, since they were undeleteable, and eventually I took the decision to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS - I'd really like to avoid any kind of that faff again.

I've found a more than suitable candidate that works on the basis where you register and get a rolling 30day licence [EDIT: Turns out it's 7 days - ok but not ideal as it forces a deadline], which so long as the basis of the idea works like they say it will Im ok with because the program is the muts nuts (perhaps too much so, It's pro as f**k and can do anything you can ever imagine but christ the learning curve is steep) but I'm not ecstactic about the idea of them having my personal info.

If anyone has any ideas and prefrably suggestions post 'em up please.

Cheers,

Ciaran.

Edited by CC12345678910

Just download which ever program you fancy from a torrent site and follow instructions on how to install it, Cyberlink Power Director is really good and easy to use, i just recently started using Premier and its way more complicated to do simple things.

Once you first start using it can seem that way, but once you get used to it (some aspects are a little counterintuitive) it's super good.  It also allows you to dabble with the harder stuff if you want to.

Adobe CS2 is available for free, meaning you can get a legit copy of Premiere CS2 if you want it.

EDIT:  That's in relation to Dman's post.

• Like 1

Sony Vegas 9 or 10. Hands down the best and quite simple to use put you can do everything possible. Download it though, its like £4,000 to buy.

Or you could download a cracked version for free. 

Not that I've ever done that myself ;)

Edited by bike_dummie

Adobe CS2 is available for free, meaning you can get a legit copy of Premiere CS2 if you want it.

I read this a while ago after spending a morning doing my own research - unless things have changed you couldn't actually download the program from adobe, just the licence. It's so you could re-install a shop bought CD copy of CS2 without having to bother adobe for the authentication/service code type thing, since it's now that old.

Download it though or its like £4,000 to buy.

Exactly...

Just download which ever program you fancy from a torrent site and follow instructions on how to install it, Cyberlink Power Director is really good and easy to use, i just recently started using Premier and its way more complicated to do simple things.

I hoped there would be a good alternative to having to bounce my IP around thailand or wherever and then sketchly gleaning my chosen program off some torrent. I dislike torrents. Torrents are my absolute last port of call, not my first. Nothing personal.

Is that literally my option then? Longarm it when no one's looking? I thought there might be some nice software out there that wasn't *cough* borrowed and didn't have any strings attached, and I'd missed it.

Edited by CC12345678910

I hoped there would be a good alternative to having to bounce my IP around thailand or wherever and then sketchly gleaning my chosen program off some torrent. I dislike torrents. Torrents are my absolute last port of call, not my first. Nothing personal

If it was a hard task i would agree but its really simple, nothing sketchy about it its just clicking buttons for a massive saving, i just got premier, after effects, lightroom and twixtor just as easy as buying it, install is more involved but still pretty basic stuff. Epic browser is an easy way of staying anonymous online.

Some people have mirrored the trial version of CS2 (which is essentially the full thing, minus the license), so you can get that then get the license for it.  Alternatively, as people are saying, getting hold of copies of any of them online isn't an issue.  I've used about 3-4 different versions of it before getting CS6 most recently, which also happens to be the first fully legit copy I've had.

When it comes to searching google for premiere I see a premier elements version, a premiere CSx and a premiere CSx pro version. And likewise with vegas 9, there appears to be a pro version of that. Which version should i be going after?

I still maintain that (to quote The Who) there's got to be another way. Lightworks for example.

It's not that i'm incapable of acquiring stuff off download sites, or arguing with the suggestion that I should do so; I started this topic already in full knowledge this was the path i would be ultimately forced to choose.

However if I am going to learn how to use a specific editor and it's quirks; I want to know that I considered all options and made an informed decision to pick the 'right' one, which of course, is totally subjective.

What programs did you peeps try on the way to concluding that your chosen program was the best for you?

If anything It'll give me a list of stuff to avoid during looking through yet more 'Top 10 best freeware video editors' type lists & articles. I seriously did think there might been a completely legit option I hadn't considered.

Edited by CC12345678910

Used Vegas, Final Cut Pro and Premiere/Premiere Pro.  Premiere Pro felt the most intuitive to me, and it allows you to integrate other Adobe things like After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop really easily which isn't really the case for the others.  

In terms of versions, the more recent ones tend to be the case for most apart from Final Cut Pro.  Everyone I know who's involved with editing for a living uses either FCP or Premiere (with a few who have switched to Davinci Resolve), and most have switched to Premiere after the latest version of FCP appeared to not really be that great.

Out of the two most recent versions of Premiere I've used (both Premiere Pro, CS5.5 and CS6), CS5.5 was probably the easiest for the most basic stuff, with CS6 having one particular thing that was kind of fiddlier, but offered a load of really handy stuff for slightly more tech editing.

Used Vegas, Final Cut Pro and Premiere/Premiere Pro.  Premiere Pro felt the most intuitive to me, and it allows you to integrate other Adobe things like After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop really easily which isn't really the case for the others.  

Out of the two most recent versions of Premiere I've used (both Premiere Pro, CS5.5 and CS6), CS5.5 was probably the easiest for the most basic stuff, with CS6 having one particular thing that was kind of fiddlier, but offered a load of really handy stuff for slightly more tech editing.

Ta very much.

Since I'm not doing vids for money I probs only need what you call the basic end of things, but I figure what'll do a lot'll do a little, & I want to make this decision once and forever (within reason). I desperately want to escape my vid's editing looking like a [insert godawful boyband name here] lyric video made by a 12yo girl who's channel staple is her squarking into a hairbrush to her favourite 'songs' (generic autochoooned top40 sh*te).

Edited by CC12345678910

Before I even contemplate putting this video together, I'm in need of an alternative to WMM. From last time I've upgraded my camera, my computer setup and become the most competant with computers n stuff that I have ever been, and now i want a better finished product from my videos to show for it - instead of being 'the best I could do at the time', I want 'the best that I could do' and to be proud of the result - If that makes sense.

The editor must be free to use, I'm only doing vids for my own personal enjoyment after all & preferably open source. It also doesn't need to be a full version with every last bell and whistle, so long as it's a good freeware full of good features and all the features that are there work straight away, and work forever.

I want something way more pro than movie maker, but definately non of that rubbish where after downloading you find that to access features beyond previewing your unedited files you can "upgrade to PRO for just $29.95!" - That sh1t can go fck itself.

I also previously downloaded an editor that was part of a complete suite of open source software, from file converters to sound editors, and it was a package deal that stealthily put a sh*t ton of folders in the start menu which were all links to the makers website. It was effectively a virus, since they were undeleteable, and eventually I took the decision to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS - I'd really like to avoid any kind of that faff again.

I've found a more than suitable candidate that works on the basis where you register and get a rolling 30day licence [EDIT: Turns out it's 7 days - ok but not ideal as it forces a deadline], which so long as the basis of the idea works like they say it will Im ok with because the program is the muts nuts (perhaps too much so, It's pro as f**k and can do anything you can ever imagine but christ the learning curve is steep) but I'm not ecstactic about the idea of them having my personal info.

If anyone has any ideas and prefrably suggestions post 'em up please.

Cheers,

Ciaran.

I have Adobe Premier Elements but find AppGeeker video editor (www.appgeeker.com) is easier to use and the result is all I am looking for.

You can give it a shot and check if it suitable for you.

• Like 1

I have Adobe Premier Elements but find AppGeeker video editor (www.appgeeker.com) is easier to use and the result is all I am looking for.

You can give it a shot and check if it suitable for you.

This was the type of answer I was after. As i hinted to above It's not that I lack the ability to rip premiere/vegas/other off of somewhere but that ultimately I may not be a need to go down that route because there could viable alternatives,

Cheers.

EDIT: Unless you're spambot, in which case go away :P

Edited by CC12345678910

That was my first thought when I saw it.  First and only post, no profile info, formatting looks pretty formulaic, etc.

So I've sat down at my desktop, turned off the hard drives, booted a linux from DVD (because read only), pulled up a proxy and then came on here. Clicked the link and as it turns out that appgeeker is legit (well not spam anyway). They've got the fairly standard set of open source DVD creator, Blu ray burner DVD ripper, File converter etc.

A quick google and more than a few of forum posts can't recommend it enough. It'll go on the list but I fear it's still malware.

The googleing appgeeker has found me a forum that says that Davinci resolve 12 has a free version? Would anyone recommend that enough, free or paid, to be worthwhile looking at?

Also, Gopro has a free editor? Is it any good??

@bikeperson45 Cheers, but did you not have the same experience as I did where NCH Software spam your start menu (so subsequently your c/:programs folder) with irremovable cluttery junk? The Videopad program itself was good; a movie maker clone with a couple more features and nothing to do with the people at the flying kite. The constant pop up messages and the clog folders were too much for me though; had to format and reinstall the OS just to get rid.

Current shortlist to research further are Lightworks free, Premiere CS5.5, Vegaspro, Cyberlink power director, Davinci Resolve free, Gopro editor and I found some posts about this near clone of premiere called Blender. This appgeeker video editor comes in easy and full versions, it could be good, but I'd have to download it to find out; and I simply don't trust the site.

Opinions and suggestions please, I am reading them.

Cheers, Ciaran.

Edited by CC12345678910