kid's bike dilemma

My 11 year old daughter has been inspired to try to learn some trials moves. She's been a keen follower of young Adam Morewood's youtube vids for a few years and was very excited to find out that he and the other members of the Onnit Bikes team were coming to her bike club last weekend to do a demo and let all the kids have a go on a trials bike. It went very well, our kids loved it and I think that the Onnit lads had a great time too!

To cut a long story short, she had a go on a Monty 207, an Onza Rip and her own mountain bike, a lightweight (9kg) hardtail. she didn't actually get a shot on one of the Onnits, (there were over 80 kids there!)

She is quite small for her age (140cm) and the little Monty was a perfect fit. Obviously a similar bike would be the best bet to learn on but they're too expensive for me just now unless she really gets into trialing. The Onza was very obviously too big, the bars were too wide, the reach was too long as were the cranks.

Now (at last!) onto my question. What would be the better option to practice on, I'd be quite happy to buy a fullsize Onza of some description s/h, there seem to be some for sale for well under £100 and scale it down with shorter bits or just use her mtb?

The mtb is lighter (by about 1.5 kg) and has more or less the same wheelbase (1m) as the full size Onzas.

Any feedback appreciated

The full size Onza's you see 2nd hand aren't going to be ideal for a young girl as they're pretty heavy. I'm not sure what your budget is but could you stretch to £300 for the Onza Tyke? 

It's the same size as the 207 pretty much just a lot cheaper and is an ideal starter bike. They do very occasionally come up for sale so you might find one 2nd hand but if not then Tartybikes are the ones to speak to. 

Hope you manage to find something! 

Adam really enjoyed the demo. Glad your daughter had a good time. David informs me the club are going to run regular trials sessions. Adam used to ride for Onza and had two special bikes made which were approx 960 long. He used these when he was 11 years old. They weighed in about 7.5kg. I know the person who has one and he wants to sell it for £200 ish.

let David Johnstone know and he can contact me about it. I'm seeing him this weekend so could try and sort something if your interested.

• Like 1