EU Referendum

J.KYDD

EU Referendum   

54 members have voted

1. 1. How are you voting?

• In
    • Out
    • Undecided

Scotland should go for independence. And they should get it. I'm more worried about Northern Ireland. Clearly I'm biassed being Irish, but there now needs to be a physical border, and the checks will be worse than they were in the 70s and 80s. This will cause problems for people living in the south but working in the north. With the way NI voted, I'd expect to see a rise in the dissident Republican movement and a complete collapse of the Good Friday Agreement. But then again, what do England care? They're great... they're number 1... their currency is plummeting.

• Like 2

All this currency talk is depressing lol. This is the first of Cameron's big decisions I support, I commend him having the balls to stand up and say you didn't listen, sort your own mess out. Good man. God know what's to come though..

No, the opposite.  We paid for an Echo order yesterday as we were concerned about a possible Brexit and the £ tanking.  It would have cost us a 4-figure sum more if we'd waited to pay it today.  See also prices of all the European brands.

9 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

All this currency talk is depressing lol. This is the first of Cameron's big decisions I support, I commend him having the balls to stand up and say you didn't listen, sort your own mess out. Good man. God know what's to come though..

It works out well for Cameron.  Shit's already hitting the fan in terms of money leaving the UK and shares in UK companies falling, so whoever takes over has got themselves a pretty poisoned chalice.  Some fanny like Boris will step in though no doubt.  This is the same as Duncan Smith stepping down from the DWP after f**king shit up there - just opportunism.

The worrying thing is in the next election I can see a UKIP/BNP uprise, so then we have crackhead Putin in power at Russia, Trump will undoubtedly win the election in the US and we'll have some fascists in power here. Shits gonna hit the fan.

6 minutes ago, isitafox said:

could be 10x better than it currently is.

the problem is that things are pretty damn good, regardless whether people perceive it this way or not. the only way how things could get 10x better is with magic or some kind of fascistic regime with a lot of slave labour going on.

Edited by jeff costello

12 minutes ago, isitafox said:

Nobody can say what the future is going to hold, it's all speculation with no way of truly knowing what's to come...

Economists said that leaving would cause an immediate drop in the £ (now at it's lowest level in 30 years), and that stocks would drop massively (we lost £200bn off UK stocks in 1hr 40mins this morning).  We've now got several years of instability while they try to negotiate new deals, all from this new suddenly weaker bargaining point.  We're also likely to have our credit rating drop so we're an even less tempting proposition, again lessening our bargaining power.  This was all stuff that we were told would happen.  The Leave campaign had no idea what was going to happen, and apparently still don't judging from their freestyle plans for timeframes for hitting the GTFO button.

Trump pretty much just rattling on about his golf course as opposed to talking about anything else then the newscaster cut him off and went to adverts :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Economists said that leaving would cause an immediate drop in the £ (now at it's lowest level in 30 years), and that stocks would drop massively (we lost £200bn off UK stocks in 1hr 40mins this morning).

I think the point is they can't predict the long term future. Saying the pound will drop immediately after a leave vote is not a prediction, it's a certainty. In the days up to the vote, and right up until the 4th result came in the pound was rocketing.. so economists (or at least investors) managed to get that seriously wrong and that was just over the period of 2 or 3 days.

We simply don't know what will happen in 2, 5, 10 or 20 years. It would be a total guess. So I agree with Dave, only time will tell.

Anyways, right now I'm feeling fairly miffed. I was looking forward to a remain vote so I could stop stressing about it (very selfish of me). It doesn't feel good right now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomturd said:

I think the point is they can't predict the long term future. Saying the pound will drop immediately after a leave vote is not a prediction, it's a certainty. In the days up to the vote, and right up until the 4th result came in the pound was rocketing.. so economists (or at least investors) managed to get that seriously wrong and that was just over the period of 2 or 3 days.

They didn't get anything wrong?  Every time there was a poll that suggested that Leave would win it dropped.  The only time it went up was when polls suggested Remain would win, and that was backed up by the larger rise in the middle of the night when there was a Remain win predicted (which was seemingly due to an exit poll - as we found from 2015 not reliable - that suggested that Remain would win).  Every time they mentioned a Leave win it dropped.  They were correct all the way through it.  The prediction was it would drop (which it has), but then due to the lack of reassurances for anyone potentially involved in trading with the UK it wouldn't recover to the same level it had been before until at the very minimum we negotiate with the EU for the actual split (because businesses don't want to invest in something that insecure, hence the £bn being wiped off stocks in the UK as soon as the Leave win was announced). 

Foreign markets/investors had already said they'd distance themselves from the UK in the event of a Leave win, and with us bombing now there's no real sign of that changing at all.

Obviously it's just a 'prediction', but it's backed up by using evidence/facts whereas there was nothing like that at all for the Leave campaign who openly said that there would be significant uncertainty and insecurity.  They kept criticising the Remain camp for only using certain types of predictions that were the 'most averse', but even the 'least averse' still painted a pretty bleak picture for a very long time.  That's still years (if not possibly decades, judging from other trade negotiation time frames) of missed growth for the UK, while everyone else continues as they were.  The effect on the UK economy so far has been like the 2008 crash, but it's basically only really us getting properly f**ked by it.  Other markets are a little sketchy due to it, but we're the ones who will suffer long term.

Also, worth repeating here too - the "£350 million a week" thing, which was clearly bullshit from the get-go, is now being fully backed down on: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html