Alias Bikes

Mark W

So some of you may have been aware Flipp's been riding a prototype frame for a little while now - that frame is now almost ready to be released; the Alias 20.1.  This should cover pretty much everything:

13533343_1808240442732657_41742180636922

Despite having mega short chainstays it's possible to run a conventional mod 19" rear wheel in there with 18:12 ratio, so if you're just after a solid, durable, nice frame for more general trials usage then it's got you covered too.

• Like 1

I was kind of hoping it would be 135mm spacing to cater for a Hope hub or equivalent, but I suppose that might cause issues with crank and disc clearance with the mega short stays. Despite that, if I were to go back to a mod this is probably what I'd have :)

Plus steel for the win :P

Edited by onzatpro09

Nice, we all know i dont like green, but thats a sweet looking frame and it can definately take a beating from what ive seen flipp do on it. Like a seatless Inspired Console.

Edited by Dman

3 hours ago, niconj said:

Will this also cost a fortune like the Hashtagg and Clean frames nowadays?

£349, so not really, especially with how long it'll probably last for.

31 minutes ago, Davetrials said:

Is this his own venture, or is alias larger brand that iim not aware of? either way, well done, looks sweet.

Alias is a brand owned by someone else.  If you look at some of the details of the frame you can probably work out who it might be...

9 minutes ago, Tom2015 said:

Is it 116 or 135? 

116mm.  Flipp ran a 135mm Hope hub in his, but for production I think they went 116mm so it was more versatile to cater to more riders.  Flipp's running a machined down Pro 4 in his now, but you can use any normal mod rear hub for it.

12 hours ago, Mark W said:

£349, so not really, especially with how long it'll probably last for.

Reasonable price I guess for a frame that'll outlast any aluminum frame by far. Are there any forks planned?

Worth noting that's £349 with a sealed bearing headset to go with it too.  No idea about forks, sorry.  Haven't heard anything about them so I assume not.  Flipp's been using 'normal' trials forks for a while so it's a different setup to the Arcade in terms of needing some more specific forks to match.

What 'normal' trials fork would you suggest for such a beast!?

11 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Worth noting that's £349 with a sealed bearing headset to go with it too.  No idea about forks, sorry.  Haven't heard anything about them so I assume not.  Flipp's been using 'normal' trials forks for a while so it's a different setup to the Arcade in terms of needing some more specific forks to match.

11 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Flipp's been using Trialtech Sport and Sport Lite forks with his while he's been testing it (Y)

Cheers Mark, this frame is starting to distract me from getting my Arcade back on the road. Do you think it would be to big a leap for someone rapidly approaching 40

33 minutes ago, Jay T said:

Cheers Mark, this frame is starting to distract me from getting my Arcade back on the road. Do you think it would be to big a leap for someone rapidly approaching 40

It would definitely take some getting used to just because it's so different, but they do feel very capable.  When you just mess around doing little pivots, spins or whatever, it's mega direct.  It'd be interesting to ride one longer term to see what was do-able on them (obviously Flipp provides a pretty good indication of this), although it still feels a bit too much like a mod for my liking :P

1 hour ago, Jay T said:

On the age thing rode with a 52 year old bmxer yesterday at salford quays, really cool guy, been riding forever, does all different cycling including trials, he has a retro build, he tries to get out riding most days, he was hopping ledges, doing rock walks and back hops on his bmx. Inspirational guy. #lifegoals

• Like 1

On 7/8/2016 at 11:19 AM, Mark W said:

He's over in Dressler Camp at the moment so I guess he'll reply when he's back - I'm going to have a stab and call it at 5ft 11in.  We need to set up a sweepstake and see who gets closest.

I'll start. I will go for 5ft 9". Physically. Riding wise massive.