looking for an old friend...

woez20valve

Hello,

I have joined this forum in search of a long lost companion that was stolen from me when I was just a nipper.
My Monty trials mod bike.......

It was a chrome cro-moly Monty X-Stam. I loved that bike and the cut still runs deep nearly 15 years later.

I got back into trials a couple years ago and built a really nice Neon bow mod bike with all the exotic bells and whistles that I wouldnt of even been able to dream of back in the day but its just not the same.
The geometry is different and feels too long, not to mention the frame is aluminium which is a far cry from the tight feel of the little steel monty.

The one I always wanted was the X-Hydra which was essentially my bike but with 4 bolt magura mounts and a few nicer bits for good measure.

If anyone knows of a Monty X-Stam or X-Hydra mod bike for sale then please get in touch with me.

Many thanks,

Tom.

Ye, iv seen that little blue number on ebay. not quite the one i was after but still a worthy contender.

Im sure the hydra was a hydra because it had 4 bolt mag mounts ?

Im going to be building some trials frames with light weight steel tubing and gas flux fillet brazing so just to have the frame as a starting point for setting the frame jig would be very useful, so il keep my eye on it. Its not too far from where i live either.

7 hours ago, woez20valve said:

This is what im after, iv been talking to the chap who once owned it but he said its now long gone.

if i start to make some trials frames then this is the style of frame im going to build with a slightly more modern twist.

IMG_0435.jpg

That was me! ...on retro bike! Yes long gone I'm afraid 

I dont fancy my chances of finding one with those original tan wall monty tires though..

I notice yours and other hydras have less bolts on the top part of the stem than the x stam version- would of been a more comfy landing for my chest hitting the bars as i remember doing several times..

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 10:35 AM, woez20valve said:

This is what im after, iv been talking to the chap who once owned it but he said its now long gone.

if i start to make some trials frames then this is the style of frame im going to build with a slightly more modern twist.

IMG_0435.jpg

Damn those montys are cool,, i remember my friend who go on School With me many years ago have a bike like that and we bike together,,me With an older monty...   and those tyres are lovely..!  remember i hit my knee always in the stem when i try to jump With it..lol...   im not sure if he have that bike anymore.

Edited by 87Monty

• 6 years later...