24 inch tyres

koxx sky 2

You're pretty much stuck with either hunting down supertacky versions of the High Roller 2.5 or Swampthing 2.5 if you want a more knobbly tyre. Both hard to find now unfortunately. 

People seem to rate the new MacAskill Continentals however although probably not as good at shedding mud if you're into riding natural in all weather's. 

Ive been running a Holly Roller up front and a High Roller on the back. Quite weighty but I prefer the grip they give over the Schwalbe options. 

IMO Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegal tyres aren't really good, a bit on the heavy side and not very bouncy, so I'd avoid getting those. Small Block 8 is okish for up front, but its life span is rather short. I know this isn't very good advice about what you DO need to consider, but this might be useful still

13 hours ago, Mikee said:

How are people rating the Contis on rocks? 

Maybe not the best example of what you're after as those rocks are quite rounded and dry/grippy. Anything pointy and without a good amount of pressure in the tyres they do seem to squish down a fair bit but maybe that's more to do with the profile the tyres have on those skinny rims. I have however ran the tyres on wide rims and the characteristics are much the same. I don't like super hard tyres, so I just have to live with the odd pinch now and then. The one thing that does grate me is that the tyres unseat themselves pretty easily on these rims, so it can look like the wheel is buckled. Still, the contis are the best ive used.

4 hours ago, DangerousDave said:

High roller in super tacky on the rear and Schwalbe Rocket Ron in the front. Best of a bad situation which is only getting worse. Can anyone from Tartybikes comment on tire availability these days? Any rumblings on new stuff?

None... 24" was banned from dirt jump comps a few years ago, hence 24" tyres being rare now. Danny Mac tyre is your best bet.

On 19/08/2016 at 10:47 AM, Ross McArthur said:

Really? Didn't know that! I wonder why?

Think it was mainly because of the perceived advantage of them, back when it was basically "UK vs US" in dirt jump comps.  Most of the UK riders were riding 24" bikes, but the US dudes 26", so they just went in favour of them.  Presumably because most of the US manufacturers were using them, so held a bit more sway over DMR & co.

This was a long, long time ago now though - we're talking the era when you found things out through the news in MBUK rather than online :P

• Like 2