Is it possible to set-up a trials bike as a commuting bike?

Bstmn

Hello. I was wondering if someone can help me out.  I've never ridden a trials bike but I'm looking to use one as a commuter (the idea of riding a bike without a seat is why).  Is it possible to run a large gear than one normally would on the front chainring?  Most of trials bike I've seen (I'm looking at a street trials bike) have a 18 tooth chainring.  Can something much larger than that (like those you find in regular road or MTB bike) be installed on trials frames?

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

@monkeyseemonkeydo rode from John'O'groats to Lands End on a trials bike. Anything is possible.

That wasn't a trials bike in the modern way of things though!! It was an Orange Zero with a 450mm (I think) seatpost and about 5 gears. To be fair it wasn't a very good idea!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, isitafox said:

Just out of interest, why do you want a bike without a seat for commuting? 

Long story short, to get a better workout.  They have bikes designed for that purpose (elliptical type stand-up bikes) but they're heavy and awkward.   I have one and looking to find an alternative  .

17 hours ago, Alex Dark said:

It all depends on the bb yoke clearance , Bb length and offset of the cranks. On certain frames im sure it would work.

Is the bb yoke clearance how much the chainstays skew outside immediately close to where the BB is?  Any bikes that might work with a large chainring?  All the ones I've seen look like it might be a problem accepting a large chainring.

59 minutes ago, Bstmn said:

Long story short, to get a better workout.

just get a roady/tourer and make a better route with some climbs? or if your not going that far run :P the geo and stance a trials bike puts you in is not the one. i used to ride a fixie into town and trail my trials bike with me because it was easier going than trialsing in..

On a real trials bike ( 5 working gears, seat, 1999 geometry) you can no problem.

on today's frames (I wouldn't call them bikes, as they can't be ridden as a bicycle should be ) you would look very very strange and probably fall a lot. Especially if you try to turn at high speeds. Highs speeds being anything over a walking pace.

insert Volvo cannondale libor karas picture

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 1

thanks for suggestions.  I was planning on adjusting the height of the handlebars the make things easier on my back.   Anyway, obviously, I'm just thinking things through at this stage.  It was just an idea that came to mind and thought I'd come here to ask about it.  Appreciate the feedback though!

16 hours ago, Scott Gibbs said:

Not mine but o found that on google, Onza T-Rex with what looks to be a 44t chainring.IMG_2535.JPG

Thanks for finding this!