24" bike setup for a tiny person

Dift

I've recently acquired a bike from a previous owner who was a good foot bigger than me (I'm ~5 3"). I've trimmed the bars to an acceptable width but I am just wondering what I can do to help me lift the front easier (I've swept the bars back slightly too). On previous bikes (the mountain variety) I would pre load the front suspension to good effect. 

Can I push the rear wheel forward in the dropout as it is only half way along the slot at the moment, I assume that would reduce the length of the bike and help?

It's already got a few spacers, a three inch riser bar and a short stem as per picture. Perhaps I need to man up and grow some legs?

20160919_222032.jpg

Those frames are not short compared to all the other street 24" bikes. On top of that your front end is more suited to someone who's about a foot taller than you, like the previous owner. Matty Turner is tiny and he rides a Skye, which is much smaller and lower than a Zoot. All you can really do is get a shorter/lower stem, roll the bars back properly, put them in line with the headtube and it won't be such a stretch.

if you are trying to get on the back wheel using pedal power, moving the rar wheel forward as you suggested will help. i have a zoot, as does a friend and we found moving the wheel forward even 3 or 4 mm makes a noticeable difference. if you have half the dropout free, it will really help. you will have to run a tensioner though. also you could try running the stem underneath all the stackers to drop the height. this will effectively be like running a slightly longer stem too, as its nearer the center line of the hub and forks, it may be harder to lift, but on the flipside, it may be easier because you have more leverage.    hope some of that helps

• Like 1

Drop the stem down by most of those stackers would be my first move on that bike for you. Then lose a chain link it looks like you have the room for it. It's a good bike to learn some stuff on then you can upgrade to something with a shorter all around geo the most similar to that only shorter wheel base and reach would be the TMS COMBO 2016 model, then the most pimp and most expensive would be something like a SKYE build. 

Thanks for the input. I somehow thought the higher the bar the easier it would be to lift the front.

I will take a link out of the chain this weekend and see how I get on moving the rear wheel forward, then I'll drop the handle bars to see if that helps further should I need it. 

I've always been able to manual all my bikes (even big DH rigs), but this zoot seems a little more stuck to the floor (I guess no suspension to pre load).

I've got an old retro 20" monty for fun, but want to get a little more serious with this bike. 

I enjoyed messing around Street riding it on Wednesday in the local skate park, but that's not what I bought it for. 

I'll let you know how I get on .

I took a link out of the chain and moved the rear wheel forward... what a difference!

I'll drop the handle bar when I work out how the headset works :o

I can get the front wheel up no problem now... it's feeling like a perfect all rounder at the moment, as happy in the air off jumps as it is on the rear wheel hoping round.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Screenshot_20160924-083822.png