Help an old guy out!

Whiteboy

After some years off I've bought myself another bike. Now there's a few questions I've got, I'm sure it's all basic stuff but having not chucked my leg over a bike for nearly ten years I'm a little out of touch.

Bikes got a rear hs11 brake, I thought these back in the day we're the road bike equivalent to the hs33? Slaves and lever seem to also have the echo 'e' on them, will this still take the standard hs33 pads? On to pads, what's the crack, everyone still grinding their rims? Heatsink still going or is there a new leading pad brand on the market? Are rb levers still about? As for front brake I was surprised to see it has a bb7 which was what I used to run all those years ago, the deore lever has got to go due to huge blister after 20 mins of riding. Avid sd7 still a good choice? A long time ago I was running a eno freewheel then onto a Chris king. This bikes currently got a front freewheel set up, is there any advantage to running the freewheel on the front as opposed to the rear? What's a reasonably freewheel upgrade? Has a set of maxis super tackys (again these I used to use), their in need of replacement, what's the current choice (predominantly street riding)? I used to use a set of reasonably chunky foam grips, they were hot stuff back then, wcs I think they we're called, are they still available anywhere or is there a new 'super grip' around? Final question, understanding I've not ridden for a long time I still find the bike is trying to chuck me off the back when on the back wheel. It's got a long high rise stem on it and reasonably low toxin forks. Would I benefit from a lower rised stem?

Apologise for the newbie questions and I get that majority of the above is down to personal preference, but a few pointers in the right direction would be appreciate.

Cheers. 

IMG_20161009_121155.jpg

Welcome back! Heatsink pads are still good dude, and TNN's and Trialtech pads are pretty popular. Plus theres a brand called TK that is made by the same guy as the old Koxx pads. And yeah grinds are still in.

Also that 'e' symbol is actually an 'm' for magura. Has confused me loads of times too.

Echo Front freewheel is pretty popular and Hope or Chris King rear freewheel, possibly hope's are more popular.

Also maybe worth trying moving your bars back or forward to see how different positions feel before deciding on a stem change?

Magura made lots of different versions, the one you have looks like a 2011 hs11, so it has a plastic lever and the 2011 hs33 has more metal on it so slightly stiffer. I don't think there is any difference between the slaves for all years.

I found the 2011's to be a bit spongey. hs33 2005 brakes are pretty good and you can usually get them 2nd had complete under £30, and it is easy to find different lengths levers if you want.

http://www.trialsaddict.com/uploads/products/hires/Magura-05-Lever-RH-Black-WM.jpg

The 2013's are also pretty good, but less options for lever length/style.

http://funtown.cz/6054-1985043-thickbox/brake-lever-magura-hs33-2013-trial-4-finger.jpg

Racing Line (the brand, not magura racinglines) rear brakes are good especially if you want split clamps and also trialtech have just brought out some rear brake lever bodies too that people seem to be excited about.

BB7's are still a good brake.

As for freewheels, there are technical things like, front FW wears chains faster and lets in a lot more dirt etc.. But front FW you can get loads more engagements for a more instant feel and a little less weight. But to be honest I don't know why people choose either, you just seem to prefer one or the other or not care.

• 3 weeks later...