Strong 180mm rotors

Jack Heard

1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

Bottomline, every rotor will bent when you hit something... ice tech rotors are expensive and don`t offer any bennefits over other rotor`s for trials use imo. 

slx rt66 are probably the best bang for the buck. 

I don't know about the bending though. Does the spider of the rt76/rt86 bend as well. If it doesn't, the rotor itself might be stronger. 

Edited by niconj

1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

Bottomline, every rotor will bent when you hit something... ice tech rotors are expensive and don`t offer any bennefits over other rotor`s for trials use imo. 

ive found the rt76 and ice techs stiffer. the alluminium spider doesnt bend as easy as just a full steel rotor- itll still bend eventually, but at the prices you can find these rotors if you bother looking, theres no reason not to get them.

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

They bend back easier from small bends than non spider ones.

And the Shimano RT76 seems to brake better than a Magura Storm. Just swapped the front because the noise of the storm rotor is a bit annoying and even without bedding in, the Shimanos are very good already and will probably be better than the Storm.

• Like 1

On 8.11.2016 at 4:40 PM, niconj said:

And the Shimano RT76 seems to brake better than a Magura Storm.

And develops pad knock. Can somebody explain to me why I didn't have pad knock with the Avid or Magura rotors but with the Shimanos? Whenever I jump onto a wall it sounds as if the rotor brakes in half. Why doesn't it happen with the other rotors?

Edited by niconj

On 11/9/2016 at 3:56 PM, niconj said:

And develops pad knock. Can somebody explain to me why I didn't have pad knock with the Avid or Magura rotors but with the Shimanos? Whenever I jump onto a wall it sounds as if the rotor brakes in half. Why doesn't it happen with the other rotors?

that doesnt sound like pad knock.... pad knock is like a small pinging sound, that sounds like youve got a magura for a brake... does the brake slip? rotor ont affect pad rock/knock.

10 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

that doesnt sound like pad knock.... pad knock is like a small pinging sound, that sounds like youve got a magura for a brake... does the brake slip? rotor ont affect pad rock/knock.

It doesn't slip. The pads move a lot though About half a millimeter. I am pretty certain that this is pad knock as it's always the same sound whenever I do a bunny hop. It's like the pads hit the caliper very strongly. Or could it be the rotor moving at the pins? It seems solid and I cannot fault the brake. It's just noisy.

Just now, niconj said:

It doesn't slip. The pads move a lot though About half a millimeter. I am pretty certain that this is pad knock as it's always the same sound whenever I do a bunny hop. It's like the pads hit the caliper very strongly. Or could it be the rotor moving at the pins? It seems solid and I cannot fault the brake. It's just noisy.

those rotors dont move at the pins, i have a broken one on my wall that got completely abused and the rivets/pins are intact :P maybe something to do with a different metal thickness meaning the pads have to travel a bit more..? who knows. i dont knowhow to fix magura pad rock, only shimano callipers :P 

21 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

those rotors dont move at the pins, i have a broken one on my wall that got completely abused and the rivets/pins are intact :P maybe something to do with a different metal thickness meaning the pads have to travel a bit more..? who knows. i dont knowhow to fix magura pad rock, only shimano callipers :P 

I think it has to do with the Shimano rotors holding better, so that the pads move more instead of a slightly slipping brake. When changing the rotors I found that the Shimano ones worked almost as good as the bedded in Magura ones. Now they have bedded in completely and I suppose this is what causes the pad knock. I double checked everything and I dunno what else it could be. As Ali and Martin said, the pad knock at the beginning is horrible but will get better. In fact, as shown in my latest video (see the todays riding thread) the noise has become more quiet.

48 minutes ago, AndyT said:

I've never heard a brake sound like that, it would scare the shit out of me. Are you sure your caliper is actually attached to the frame? Sounds insane! 

Good of to see you not wasting time on side hopping... No one needs to do that.

The sound is a bit different now and quieter. It's almost like a Magura brake. 

Yeah... I don't want to sidehop anymore as the first one cost me a new rotor. :D

Edited by niconj