Bikepark Wales - Sat 12th Nov

Luke Rainbird

Really good park. Bearing in mind I had Soph with me, whos competent on most blues/reds at other trail centres we've ridden but likes to ease herself into new trails, we still had more than enough to keep us busy. I'd have liked to hit more of the red routes but we simply didn't have enough time in the end, though I rode a few sections which kept it interesting. The runs are pretty much all downhill with regards to the fact you're working with gravity, but not really "downhill" as in the riding discipline until you get to the harder reds and black runs. Book the uplift in advance and plan your trip around that if possible - we decidedto go at short notice (as this thread shows!) due to a free weekend, so bought a couple of PAYG-type uplift tickets and found that we were waiting around a little for spaces to free up on the vans. If you book in advance you get priority and walk straight on. As a result, however, we ended up riding up the hill a couple of times, trying out both the road up and the XC climb as well. Both aound half an hour of climbing and not a complete killer, but you get less time on the fun stuff doing it that way. Uplift day pass (pre-booked) is around £36, or you can pay £7 for a day's entry to the park and then PAYG for uplifts )£4 advance, £5 on the bus, 12 months to use them up)

Yep, on the hillside next to Merthyr. We stayed at the Bedlinog Inn nearby, which was 15 minutes drive from the park itself so no biggy. Was also cheap, which wins, but great food, clean/well kept and friendly staff etc. Looks like it'd been reecntly refurbished which was cool. Cost us just over £100 for the two of us with a room, breakfast a 2 course evening meal plus some drinks.

• 2 weeks later...