Stopping Smokingggg

RossBurnside

Have been chatting to a couple riders about it, and most people at college are keen on me stopping. Really just looking for any general advice/help stopping?

Bought one of those cheapo £5 ecigs that look like a straight, and yeah it's helped so far but there's still the draw to rolling and smoking actual cigarettes. Anybody got any words of wisdom on what actually works/doesn't?

Just stop. No aids or electronic crap which probably has nicotine in it anyway. If you really want to quit you'll be able to do it otherwise you'll go back to smoking. I spent ages thinking about quitting without mentioning it to anyone and then just stopped one night. 

If you genuinely want to quit don't make a big deal out of it and don't convince yourself it's hard 'cause it isn't. 

• Like 2

It's probably different for everyone, but i tried quitting lots of times, and I properly quit about 7 years ago. I tried a lot of nicotine replacements and in the end just stopping cold turkey was most effective. The thing is all you really need is a reason or strong desire to quit, just get through the first three days and its easy. Nicotine is very addictive, but it is noting in comparison to actual will power. Whether you want to be fitter, or live longer, feel better, save money, be more attractive to the ladies, what ever it is for you.. once you actually commit all you have to do is just stop.

My surefire technique, which has so far worked for something like 15 months not sure exactly: Smoke more than you've ever smoked in your life today. I think the day before I quit I got through just over 60. Didn't feel like smoking the next day. Or the day after. Or most of the days since. Some days I've fancied one, but by now it'd be such a waste of all the time not smoking that it's not worth it. No patches, no e-cig, no nothing.

• Like 2

I was never a heavy smoker... but when I quit (nearly 7 years ago now), I cut down gradually over a month or two, until I was having about 1-3 a day. It made stopping completely a lot easier, as I had tried the cold turkey way a couple times unsuccessfully. 

Not drinking alcohol during and for a while after the quitting period helped me a lot too. As most people smoke more when drinking.

Edited by Mikee

As most others have said, you've actually got to want to quit, if you're doing it to please others but don't actually want to stop because you enjoy it, you'll never do it.

As such JDs advice on smoking a shit load is good, make it the most unenjoyable thing in the world, give yourself a reason to not do it.

• Like 1

Mother in law quit pretty easily using ecigs, she was a pack a day smoker. Don't f**k about with the cheap ones though. Go get yourself a decent starter kit like the 'eLeaf Melo 2'.

The great thing about vaping is you can control the level of nicotine which you can't do with cigs, allowing you to drop the nic level when you're ready. You'll also get your nicotine without any of the harmful shit that comes with cigs, which is really what you need to quit.

If you need any more advice on vaporizers just bump up the vape thread.

• Like 1

I cut down over 2 weeks then went cold turkey. In the end I was just having 3 tokes on each cig twice a day, you need to be kind/gentle with yourself. I tried nicotine replacement and vapes but really didn't help because I always ended up having a cig. You've got to want to quit and you need to keep busy, giving up smoking is the hardest thing I've ever done and the same with most people! There is a app called "Smoke Free" it's free and pretty good, it gives you targets which tells you the health benefits of not smoking, how much money you have saved, how many hours of life you've regained!

First 3 days are hard! 

Week 1 - 3 lungs hurt! But cravings ain't terrible. 

Week 3 - 12 Easy like you've never smoked. 

Week 12 - 16 this month was the hardest, craved a cig more than previous months along headaches, anxiety, depression. Might not happen to you but I researched a lot of the time and found most people have trouble at 3-4 months but after that it's pretty much over... you've quit. 

If you do give it a shot, good luck! 

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

I gave up erm.. 15 years ago now. I use to alike nearly 60 a day!!! 
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking is what I used. I started the book but couldn’t get into it. So found the video. Watched it, took and hour. Had my last smoke with my mum and haven’t been near again. The smell makes me sick in fact. Plus having a very fit girlfriend whom didn’t smoke at the time was a incentive. Worth giving up. Health, monies. Food tastes better, dentist is happier, GP Doesn’t bother you.