Mission prodigy, new to the forum

Tilly05

Alright guys.  Never done trials in a serious manner a mate and myself used to muck about with pallets and water barrels in our younger days but nothing too big.   Iv just got my hands on a mission prodigy (it was free)  been sat for years in a garage and needs some tlc!   The bike has sentimental value and I don't mind spending to revive it.  Going to build a little run in the back garden hopefully inspire my son to do a bit.  

So,   I'm not sure what year build it is to find out the spec and sizes etc..   Anyone shed any light? 

20161212_105707_zpsxoiowfrw.jpg

Also as far as parts go,  any recommendations on shops/sites to look at?  

Cheers 

Which bits are you looking at replacing?  For things like the tyres, you'd just need a 20" tyre up front and a 19" on the rear (the tyre will likely say "20 x 2.50" on it, but it lies).  Grips are a one-size-fits-all affair.  Any HS33 style pads will fit on the rear brake, and any V-Brake pads will fit up front.  The headset looks to be a normal standard/regular headset rather than integrated or internal, and the BB is just a square taper type.  You'd probably want a 127.5mm spindle to make sure that it all clears nicely. 

Cheers for that. I think there is another hs33 unit for the front which Il put back on when he finds it!   Initial parts at moment are replacing the crank complete assembly Inc bb.  I'd also like to spruce up the stem and bars ,  seems they are 1.5 steerer tubes and weird sized handlebars.  Off top of my head I think I measured them at 25mm whereas all ones iv seen are oversized 38mm.    It's got an fsa pig one point five headset just for added info 

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

The headset looks to be a normal standard/regular headset rather than integrated or internal, and the BB is just a square taper type.  You'd probably want a 127.5mm spindle to make sure that it all clears nicely. 

Mission prodigy's have a 1.5inch headset (in mine it was an FSA pig, which I believed to be to original, Google/ebay listings corroberate this)

They also use mission branded hubs, the rear of which uses a 14mm axle. Thankfully both front and rear are sealed cartridge bearing so they shouldn't be any/much trouble, but changing to a conventional modern trials hub/wheel will require  14 - 10mm dropout adapters. You also realistically can't fit wider than a 42-44mm wide rim (the Alex DX32 is 38mm) and even then you will need tensile offset clamps for magura (which you'll have to pick up 2nd hand as they are discontinued) or heatsink adapters (link) on the widest setting. I was fortunate to have enough of the right spare parts kicking around at the time to work all this out.

For reference mine came with mission brand ISIS cranks and a 118mm Truvativ BB (I forget the model but it used that truvativ 8 spline BB tool that tartys sell). A longer axle will do no harm as the stock chainline is sh*te (really tight to the tire) and even a KMC 610HX scrapes the bash mount when using front freewheel. That may not be true using the OE cranks, rear freewheel and 24-18t gearing but as I went FFW straight away I've no comment.

Use a trialtech or tensile 4 bolt booster for the rear brake as the frame flexes like a wet paper bag, and the front brake mounts are not much better. That said, 80% of that is the v-brake adapters (like the ones fitted), they're just a sh*t idea and ideally want changing to 4-bolt style adapters.

Off the top of my head I think that about covers it.

@Tilly05 If you've any more questions feel free to hit quote on this post and ask away. :)

Edited by CC12345678910

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:14 PM, CC12345678910 said:

@Tilly05 If you've any more questions feel free to hit quote on this post and ask away. :)

I'm in need of some advice, every search I do for mission prodigy parts or spares etc  comes up with nothing.  A manual, spec sheets, etc, nothing.   Did a bit today, but my crank arms are worn and the spindle looks worn too. the crank arms are magic f-l and f3 arms. I showed them to guy at Halfords who laughed and said not here pal. So leaving online but how do I know what will fit? Is there anywhere or anyone out there with decent info on the prodigy??

Had a look at tarty bikes, some nice looking stuff on there and some parts Id like to buy but I'v no ideas which I need..

7 hours ago, Tilly05 said:

1) I'm in need of some advice, every search I do for mission prodigy parts or spares etc  comes up with nothing.  A manual, spec sheets, etc, nothing.   

2a) Did a bit today, but my crank arms are worn and the spindle looks worn too. the crank arms are magic f-l and f3 arms. I showed them to guy at Halfords who laughed and said not here pal.

2b)So leaving online but how do I know what will fit? 

2c) Is there anywhere or anyone out there with decent info on the prodigy??

3) Had a look at tarty bikes, some nice looking stuff on there and some parts Id like to buy but I'v no ideas which I need..

1) Yeaah... You ain't gonna find owt like a spec sheet on a website or anything. The mission prodigy was a pseudo trials bike that was thrown together out of a far eastern factory's parts catalogue (all the frame tubes are pre made stock items, as are the hubs, the 14mm dropouts will have been because those hubs and dropouts were cheaper, the forks are suspiciously like 24in forks with the mounts adjusted etc. etc.)

Google a Base T19 and you will see a similar bike from the same time period. It was a time period where trials was going to be the next fad and be as big as BMX and loads (of people) knocked out anything to jump on the bandwagon (These days if you order twenty bikes to be made in china you can call yourself a trials bike manufacturer and sell on alibaba - nothing's changed)

2a) 10 - 15 year old taiwan brand crank arms - you're not going to find nor do you want direct replacements. Halfords are shit anyway on the whole, but you did (inadvertently) walk into that one.

2b) In terms of cranks, I'd need to know where the cranks/bottom bracket are square taper or isis splined before I'd answer. Post up the crank arm length too as that'd be helpful.

Beyond that I'd like to know what direction you intend to take the build in. Basically if you want to keep the bike fairly standard and to a point where it works fairly quickly, or change a shit load of stuff like I did with mine.

2c) As you may have gathered; No. I found out all the info i've already told you by owning one as a side project and swapping round my spare parts collection/hoard 'til I got a combination that looked right & worked well, combined with spending half my life building and playing with all different types of pedal bike as base knowledge.

3) Tarty's are a sorted bunch, who are used to receiving 'will this fit my onza ___' type questions so don't sweat it. Besides which that's what a forum is for. Post up detailed photos with a well articulated description and you should get an answer.

Hope any of that was useful. 

Edited by CC12345678910