Just over 8 years ago I quit riding

Oak T

Hey guys. 

Just wanted to release my stress while riding. Its been 8 years and just getting back into trials. Having confidence issues on a 2 foot wall!!! I have confidence to wheel swap it but nothing else its really getting my anger levels high. 

Tips will be really appreciated!

Thank you for reading my rant.

Don't let it get you down!  I'm back riding after pretty much a 2 year hiatus and finding my confidence has taken a massive hit.  It's just a case of getting out as much as you can and remembering that it's supposed to be fun!!  No sense in beating yourself up for being rusty, just keep at it :)

• Like 4

Can only echo what has been said above. 
I properly stopped riding around 3 years ago now after riding nigh on every day for the 5 years previous to that so I could spend more time with a then girlfriend. 

Ive had a few bikes here and there since but never kept one long enough and each time my confidence level has been far lower, more with how a fall will impact my ability to work more than anything.. stick at it. I found even after a few rides it all starts to come back, and with a fresh approach even improved in certain areas. 

I focused on being a bit more technical on my last bike, honing my balance again and improving accuracy. Made everything else far easier. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the advice! I know it's suppose to be fun but knowing how I used to sidehop 48" in my mind it kind of annoys me how now I'm backing out of a 24" wall hahaha. 

I will keep at it. I might even start recording keep updates coming haha

Thank you!

• Like 1

I can relate to the "could do X in the past, can't do it now". That's been going on since 2008. It's bloody annoying but if you focus on other aspects of trials, you'll soon forget about it. This could be anything from a manifesto riding style to riding with great people. For me it's the latter. Trials has become much more of a social event for me and the enjoyment of being around good friends is much more important than going bigger. Although obviously it's best if you can do both :P  The other thing to keep in mind is that if you want to go big, you need to start out small. Lets say you could frenchie 8 pallets. You're going to get absolutely nowhere unless you start with 5 and progress. You'll just get frustrated or learn some bad habits. This sounds obvious but you might find you're forgetting about it when riding, I know I do. If the obstacle is too big, even if it's just a few inches too much get practicing on something smaller you can cope with. That'll also boost your confidence because you'll actually be succeeding in what you're trying to do. You'll be amazed how much you can progress in one day if you start out small and add an inch every time you feel confident.

Also recording yourself and having an analytical attitude can make you progress faster if you feel a bit lost. I've recently found my phlegmatic riding style has been pushed to the limit and to progress further I need to start moving quickly. Easier said than done because you need to coordinate all the muscles at a faster pace but it's an observation that wasn't obvious until recently when I really focused on body movement of other riders and my own.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2016 at 2:33 PM, Oak T said:

Hey guys. 

Just wanted to release my stress while riding. Its been 8 years and just getting back into trials. Having confidence issues on a 2 foot wall!!! I have confidence to wheel swap it but nothing else its really getting my anger levels high. 

Tips will be really appreciated!

Thank you for reading my rant.

Anger levels don't relieve stress . Enjoy the riding and be happy with progress your making now. Look forward not back. Remember the race between the Rabbit and the Tortoise. 

Just chill out and breathe.

I have more fun on some tiny interesting rocks/curbs finding lines that are very technical, but not very large... and trying to ride them with no correction hops, and total smoothness- a very rewarding feeling.

my days of trying 10 foot drop gaps and spending hours at a wall trying to inch up on taps are over... I'm  not sad those days are gone, I have just as much fun riding my bike around and concentrating on technical smoothness.

On 14/12/2016 at 4:32 AM, lifes-a-trial said:

Anger levels don't relieve stress . Enjoy the riding and be happy with progress your making now. Look forward not back. Remember the race between the Rabbit and the Tortoise. 

When people have too much time on their hands....

• Like 1