MT7 vs MT5

nicolasp1405

So I was going to buy some MT7 but then a friend proposed me to go for MT5 instead. Appart from having a slightly different lever and different pads, is there really much of a difference?

I can get a really good deal on the MT7 ( £270 for the pair ) the MT5 would cost me around £150

What do you guys think? Worth the ~£120 up? To be honest it's a really good deal on the MT7 so I don't want to miss anything but at the same time if the MT5 are really almost as good, well...

Get the MT5 either with 180mm rotors and Trialtech pads (+a lot of pad knock) or 200mm rotors and standard pads (with a lot less pad knock). I couldn't fault either and the extra money for the MT7 lever (calipers are the same) isn't worth it in my opinion. It only offers toolless reach adjustment which you can do with a torx bit on a MT5 lever as well. Maguras advertised more power due to some other lever ratio is just placebo from what I've read on the MTB forum. 

Or you could do it like @ben_travis and get the MT6 (which is basically an MT4 with a different lever just like the MT7).

I've got the MT5 on the rear and an MT4 on the front with standard pads and 200mm SLX rotors and they just work. 

Edited by niconj

4 hours ago, Onza trails said:

I know this is not really what u asked for but why magura why not sram....i have avid exlir brakes they are perfect i have no trouble and they r really cheap....

You don´t ride hard enough yet. Then you will change that opinion.

• Like 4

On 2016-12-27 at 2:21 PM, Onza trails said:

I know this is not really what u asked for but why magura why not sram....i have avid exlir brakes they are perfect i have no trouble and they r really cheap....

On 2016-12-27 at 3:56 PM, niconj said:

Or SLX or Avid BB7. Too much to choose from. :D

I had elixir and they were only trouble plus coming from saints they'll feel really week. And they're a massive pain to bleed since theres no reservoir on the lever. For the bb7, I have a friend who has then and they really dont break hard enough, cable discs brakes won't do it for me..

I'll just go with the MT7s, I have a good deal and don't really mind the $ since I get a good deal. My saints will be missed though...

2 hours ago, nicolasp1405 said:

I'll just go with the MT7s, I have a good deal and don't really mind the $ since I get a good deal. My saints will be missed though...

You knew that before you even asked here. ;) In my opinion the MT7 has more bling than bang for the buck.

• 1 month later...
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, nicolasp1405 said:

Meaning? :ermm:

I think the lever doesn't hold in place and ends up falling out the way. So unless you have a 7" finger you wont be able to grab it. Other fix would be to fix an elastic band to the lever and bar.

Am I wrong? Pretty sure ive seen it on some magura disc brakes before.

On 1/30/2017 at 4:34 AM, Ross McArthur said:

I think the lever doesn't hold in place and ends up falling out the way. So unless you have a 7" finger you wont be able to grab it. Other fix would be to fix an elastic band to the lever and bar.

Am I wrong? Pretty sure ive seen it on some magura disc brakes before.

How big is your finger?

A 7" finger is respectable.

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, BJ. said:

You work in a bike shop and allow yourself to ride a bike with hose like that haha. Just shorten them. You don't need fluid for shortening :') 

for the amount I need to shorten them by I think I will ;) Either way its peace of mind considering what they are. Besides, I don't want brand new brakes working like shiteeee :P