MT7 vs MT5

nicolasp1405

The pricing of the MT7 is a bit on the strange side. It's pretty much double the MT5 but as pointed out, the caliper is the same. If you break down what these brakes comprise of, an MT7 lever + 4pot caliper are therefore priced similarly to two MT5 levers and two 4pot calipers. A bit of maths and you'll get the value of the MT7 lever which is equivalent to an whole MT5 brake AND an MT5 lever. That's a bit steep for an extra adjustment and improved mechanical advantage in a very similar package :P

Although the "plastic" Magura use in the levers has some pretty impressive mechanical properties I can't see why you'd chose them over Hopes, which are a beautiful piece of engineering :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greetings said:

The pricing of the MT7 is a bit on the strange side. It's pretty much double the MT5 but as pointed out, the caliper is the same. If you break down what these brakes comprise of, an MT7 lever + 4pot caliper are therefore priced similarly to two MT5 levers and two 4pot calipers. A bit of maths and you'll get the value of the MT7 lever which is equivalent to an whole MT5 brake AND an MT5 lever. That's a bit steep for an extra adjustment and improved mechanical advantage in a very similar package :P

Although the "plastic" Magura use in the levers has some pretty impressive mechanical properties I can't see why you'd chose them over Hopes, which are a beautiful piece of engineering :) 

Very good points there, I can't disagree! 

I get roughly 60% off them through work though (only once!) , and since the power is simply brilliant I thought why not ;) Plus they look rad haha

3 hours ago, niconj said:

I dare say that there isn't any noticeable difference between the MT7 and the MT5 when it comes to power. 

there isnt I've used them both. I could be wrong but i THINK piston shape or something along those lines is different in the master cylinder? Again I could be talking nonsense haha. 

Well the quality of the levers themselves are completely different, considering I snapped my friends mt5 blade that was only a few months old.... Peace of mind for me I went for these macaskill ones. Like I say, I don't exactly buy brakes often and got an insane deal on them ;) Other than that I completely agree where everybody is coming from.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, niconj said:

Too bad that there aren't any BR-M810 around anymore. :( Pad knock is considerably less than on a Magura caliper and the lever is nicer as well.

Totally agree man, shimano is efficient and even I love sharp levers unlike Magura's.The design of square kind makes it feel less energetic to me.btw you can get saints from other sites ;)